Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Question for longtime extract brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 01:43 AM   #21
Beer Snob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy
The only thing i dont consider brewing is dump and stir no boil kits that are prehopped.
Even these have there "times"... think of it this way..... as least its a first step. I have not met many people who don't want to take the next step from this pretty quickly.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #22
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy
Who says extract brewers aren t real brewers. Have you been posting on some other beer site that is infested with idiots who talk about each other more than beer.
Nah, I was just riffing on some of the more egregious comments made in the latest incarnation of the bleach wars.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #23
davidkrau
Recipes 

I've brewed a number of of extract brews and I've moved up to all grain. First of all most of the extract brews I made were in my opinion excellent. So why bother with all grain? In my case it was challange. Just to see if I could do it. Yes, If you want the very best equipment it will cost you a fortune. In my case I went El cheepo. I paid $39.00 for a turkey fryer at Menards which included a large aluminum pot, a propane cooker and a regulator I don't think you need a grain mill . I get grain and supplies from midweist home brewing in Minneapolis (www.midwestsupplies.com). They grind the grain for free and deliver Fedex to me in the Chicago area in two days. You pay for shipping but no sales tax which is a wash out for me, I Made the mash tun from a 48 gal cooler.

The down side is: It is messy,time consuming and I'm not sure the beer is any better than extract beer. The up side is the challange and fun of making beer from scratch and the cost is about half of what extract beer is.

David

Old 03-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #24
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

before i finally did go to AG the issue was money. as a poor college kid i just didn't have the money for a 10 gallon stainless brewpot. i had my mash/lauter tun built long before i had a big enough pot. now that i do AG brews though, i will still go back and do some extract brews time to time because AG does take a lot of time. my last brew turned into a two day session because of a really slow sparge. in terms of time, i didn't think about it until i started doing it. AG takes a LOT of time, and unless youre retired already, its a lot of ti,e to devote strictly to brewing. i find it best to find other things to do while i'm brewing. i'll usually go for a hike during the mash, or do some reading, or whatever. even though an AG brew takes 5-6 hours, only an hour or two of taht is spent actually brewing. i fill in the rest of the time with stuff that i norm,ally do during the day anyways. and although i enjoy my AG batches more, my extract batches were still very good, and if i didnt have that nice ten gallon pot i'd still be doing them and enjoying them.

drinking: mocha java porter, belgian pumpkin ale, Gary's oatmeal stout clone, AHS nut brown, catamount porter clone, double nut brown, rye pale ale, my oatmeal stout

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many

Old 03-16-2006, 12:45 AM   #25
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hello from an AG brewer. First let me say that Extract brewers ARE real brewers (I was one for years too). However, let me say that while switching to AG can be expensive, it doesn't have to be. My first AG setup cost me around $3.00. I'm not kidding- $3.00. I already had a 7 gallon pot (I think you can get an enameled stock pot pretty cheap) and an outdoor burner, so all I needed to buy was a cheap colander from Wally World or Target or whatever. I cut the edge off of it so that the edge would fit snugly in the bottom of my bottling bucket just above the spigot. Throw in the strike water and grains, wrap a couple old blankets around it, and voila- instant mash/lauter tun! All I'm saying is- if you want to go AG you can and it won't break your bank. I have since upgraded my system, but what I had served quite well for over a year.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-16-2006, 02:17 AM   #26
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkrau
I get grain and supplies from midweist home brewing in Minneapolis (www.midwestsupplies.com). They grind the grain for free and deliver Fedex to me in the Chicago area in two days. You pay for shipping but no sales tax which is a wash out for me...

David
I like midwest brewer a lot as well, although their website is hard to search in sometimes...

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Old 03-16-2006, 03:06 AM   #27
davidkrau
Recipes 

If you call Midwest Supplies at 1-888-449-2739 they will send you a catalog. With respect to AG brewing I started one at 6am today and was finished by 10 am. I love the magic when the grain turns sugary when it's heated with water at 152F

David

Old 03-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #28
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've been an extract brewer for years and plan on becoming an AG brewer when I've collected or built everything that I need as cheaply as possible. So far I have two pumps, frame, casters, ½” copper pipe, various connectors, and burners at no cost. Plus I’ve wrangled a sheet metal shop to cut, drill, and weld my kegs (when I get them) for trade. I’ll get there soon but I’m in no hurry.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 03-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #29
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been an extract brewer since '93. I don't ever plan on "converting over to the light side" (or whatever).

My reasons for NOT switching are simple: I make good "award winning" beer (2 First Places - Best of Show and Best of Style, in the only contest I've ever entered). I've had other people's AG and was not satisfied. I don't believe I can improve my beers if I used AG.

Old 03-18-2006, 03:01 AM   #30
Hopsnort
Recipes 

OK, let's examine the typical weekend:

18 holes of golf (maybe 36, if it's a PERFECT weekend).
Some fly-fishing on the local river (if it's to crappy to play golf).
Home repairs (who the hell broke the toilet/garage door/disposal/etc... Again)
The obligatory NASCAR race (don't laugh, at least it's not wrestling).
Auto repairs & maintenance (hers, mine, and both the teenagers).
Work reports for the Monday morning meeting (the "WAG" report, as we call it).

Throw in an extract/mini-mash brew session while sampling last months kegged offering and listening to some tunes...

Don't bother me, I'm brewing a DAMN good beer!!!

Hopsnort

"Ziggy-Zaggy Ziggy-Zaggy Hoi Hoi Hoi!"

Quick Reply