The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Question for longtime extract brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #11
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm not exactly a 'longtime' extract brewer since I've only been brewing since December. I don't think I'll be going to AG for a long time because of cost and place to stow all the gear, and right now it looks just like voodoo magic. That, and I'm still awed with wonder that with all the boiling, transferring liquid, and swearing colorfully that I do in the kitchen, a month later I'm drinking delicious beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #12
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

I'd love to go all grain. Time and Space are against me. My brewing already takes up all the closet under the stairs. And with a nipper due at the beginning of July, I should savor my free time while it is mine.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:18 AM   #13
davy

Recipes 

Who says extract brewers aren t real brewers. Have you been posting on some other beer site that is infested with idiots who talk about each other more than beer.

I say if its not broke dont fixit.

If you like to brew with extract and it works for you then stick with what works.

However about the equipment costs I will say that some of the equipment can be used to make extract brews easier and actually save you some money. Propane burners are a major investment but in the long run will cost you less especially if you are using a stove top. Propane is cheap especially compared to an electric stove and definitely compared to a gas range. Also you can boil bigger batches and get better breaks.

Immersion chillers too work great chilling beer quickly and effectively allowing better breaks. And having a bigger pot lets you boil bigger batches leeading to less darkening if you are not doing full boils.

And I love brewing outside an a nice sunny day.

Double the Pleasure. Double the Homebrew.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:36 AM   #14
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Thought of space...

I've seen a few replies concerning space. So far in my attempts to make some AG/PG gear I would certainly not say that it has taken up a lot of space. I mean... we're talking a cooler.... bucket for a HWT (which you probably already have for bottling). If space is the only reason, take a look at some of the pictures in the gallery and you will see that people seem to be doing this without taking up a lot of space.

There are plenty of pictures to this fact, but one that comes to mind is Orfy's setup for instance...

Just a 2 cent thought

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 03-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #15
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy
Who says extract brewers aren t real brewers.
Hope I did not miss it but I dont think I read this yet. You are very correct. I mean AG brewers in the end do exactly what extract brewers do, make great beer

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 03-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #16
davy

Recipes 

The only thing i dont consider brewing is dump and stir no boil kits that are prehopped.

For a Hard-Earned Thirst, Homebrew.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:03 AM   #17
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have only been making beer for a few months and have completed about 5 extract batches but I do feel inclined to try my hand at AG. I was really hot to get all the stuff this past week but today I am not so much in a hurry. I have about half the equipment and when the weather warms up I will probably work my way to do it. I have the time at this point in my life.

Gary

Old 03-11-2006, 04:48 AM   #18
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am hooked on brewing.. I like my beer, I no longer buy beer,.. extract brewing is easier and less time consuming.. I have no doubt I will switch to all grain, but for now, I still need recipies and advise from friends to make good beer.. When I can come up with one that I like by myself, my journey to the darkside will be complete and I will build a mash tun and go all grain.. until then.. why fix it if it ain't broke?

Old 03-11-2006, 05:40 AM   #19
StudentBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budbo
I am hooked on brewing.. I like my beer, I no longer buy beer,.. extract brewing is easier and less time consuming.. I have no doubt I will switch to all grain, but for now, I still need recipies and advise from friends to make good beer.. When I can come up with one that I like by myself, my journey to the darkside will be complete and I will build a mash tun and go all grain.. until then.. why fix it if it ain't broke?
Exactly my thoughts Budbo. Plus, pulling off an AG brew in my tiny apartment would be an act of God. I have stepped up to doing the occasionaly mini-mash and I'm ready to convert to the dark side as soon as I'm out of school and out of this apartment. Plus, since last september I've brewed 50 gallons of delicious brew using extracts. No complaints here either.
Drinking:
Mirror Pond Clone #2
Mac and Jack's African Amber Clone
Mountain Brew
IIPA
Hard Spiced Cider

Old 03-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #20
flingdingo
Recipes 

Like most everyone else who responded, my biggest factor is time. All-grain brewing will double the time spent, easily. I still have other hobbies which need my attention. Also, for me personally, I have many more things I want to try with extract brewing before I feel I know enough for all grain.

Beer. It's what's for dinner.

Quick Reply