Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Question about primary fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
dblvsn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Question about primary fermentation

Got my first batch of Porter sitting in the primary fermenter going on day 9. Question I have is there is still a layer of kraeusen sitting on the top of the beer. Is this typical and ready to be racked to the secondary or should I let it sit for a couple more days and settle out?

Cheers all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

There is absolutely no way to tell if an ale is finished except with a hydrometer, but if the krausen hasn't fallen it is still actively fermenting. Brewing without a hydrometer is a little like golfing without holes. Just getting to the green doesn't mean you're done. The end game really matters.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-27-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks David_42. The comment you made about if there is kraeusen on top that its still fermenting got me to thinking about what I've read in a few books. And I think I figured out what is going on. The temperature in my house has cooled down a couple degrees the past few days. Thermostat reads 69 degrees in my house and the thermometer on the side of my fermenter reads 68-69 degrees as well. When the primary was churning and bubbling the most was at a temperature of about 74 degrees, so I put a heater next to the closet its sitting in to bump the temperature up a couple degrees and voila! I have bubbles in my airlock again! The top seems to be clearing off a little more as well. Appreciate the help!

Cheers All!

Quick Reply