Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Question about my Belgian.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
mikeyc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Question about my Belgian.

I brewed a Brewers Best Bold Series Belgian Tripel back June. Bottled it in July. Its turned out great. My question is why is it that before I put the bottle in the fridge it is crystal clear. You can see straight through the bottle no cloudiness. Looks like it could be water in the bottle. But once its been chilled its very cloudy, and hazy. What causes this? Just curious, the beer tastes fine, just didnt know why it becomes cloudy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
goplayoutside
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You have chill haze, which is caused by the presence of proteins that decrease in solubility with the drop in temperature and come out of solution, making your beer cloudy. You can reduce chill haze by chilling your wort faster and more completely before pitching your yeast (this encourages a lot of those proteins to drop out earlier and you leave them behind in your fermenter), and by using finings such as irish moss (added in the boil) or gelatin or isinglass (added later), or by cold-filtering your beer like the pros do.

Chill haze happens to a lot of homebrewers and I think it's difficult to completely eliminate it without filtering.

Thankfully, it doesn't change the taste!

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes good health" -Thomas Jefferson
PRIMARY: NONE / SECONDARY: NONE / CONDITIONING: NONE / ON TAP: ANGLO-AMERICAN WHEAT PALE ALE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply