Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Question about adding toasted coconut to porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
michiganjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about adding toasted coconut to porter

I have a porter sitting in my primary for just over 3 weeks now. Last night I finally worked up the nerve to toast a lb of flaked coconut, stick in a grain bag, and ram it down in to my glass carboy.

Ive been hesitant due to the head retention problem due to the oils in the coconut (it was oil despite my attempt to toast it to a golden brown color).

MY QUESTIONS: I used sweetened coconut because I looked everywhere and could not find unsweetened.......am I screwed? What is going to happen as a result of using sweetened coconut? I noticed my airlock is bubbling once again. There were no additives other than "sweetener"

I figure I just butchered this whole batch but I am going to see it thru!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I wouldn't sweat the sweetener, as it's fermenting out. Oils are a problem, but lack of head on a porter isn't IMO.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

You are going to get a secondary fermentation. I don't know how much sugar is in there, but if you are using a secondary 5 gallon carboy for a 5 gallon batch, you may want to stick a blow-off tube on there just in case. I have had explosive secondary fermentation from fruit in similar situations.

Regarding the coconut and oils...I have had mixed results. I have changed my recipe a bit over time to improve head formation and retention, but even the first time I made it I didn't *really* have issues with it to the point of there being no head...more like it dissipates a bit faster than I'd like.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
solo103
Recipes 

Your fine man. I did a toasted coconut stout with a lb in secondary and it had no problem with head retention. Next time I'm not going to.toast it or do s half toasted half non toasted because I think you would get better flavour that way

Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
DaytonBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I scored 8th overall in my last comp with a coconut porter. I did 1/2lb in the boil and 1/2lb in secondary. Same as you with the sweetened coconut. The added sugar, and following higher abv did thin out the body a bit. As for the oils, when I racked to the bottling bucket I cold crashed it for a couple hours to both drop the yeast and to help the oils harden on the surface so I could bottle from under it and leave the scum behind.

relaxnrelapsen Likes This 

Quick Reply