Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pyramid Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Spludge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pyramid Clone

Anyone have a Pyramid Hefe clone recipe using malt extract?
I'm assuming I will have to use dry malt in order to get a lighter color as all hefe's I've done with liquid malt have turned out way too dark.
We're planning on putting a bunch of raspberries in the secondary
Thanks for any replies

Schadenfreud Brewing
Beer and hockey, the reasons I wake up every afternoon

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My Tetrahedron American Pale Wheat:
Tetrahedron American Pale Wheat

Beer: Tetrahedron American Pale Wheat Style: Weizen/Weissbier
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 8 HCU (~6 SRM) Bitterness: 29 IBU
OG: 1.048 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 4.7% v/v (3.7% w/w)
Specialty Grain: 8 oz. American crystal 40L
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.080 3 gallons
1.5 lb. Light dry malt extract
4.5 lb. Wheat extract
Hops: .8 oz. Millenium (14% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade ( @5min)
.5 oz. Willamette ( @5min)
Yeast: Wyeast 1010 @ 60-65F
Prepare a 3l starter.

Notes:

From Pyramid's site
Plato 11.75 = OG 1.047
ABV 4.9%
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40
IBU: 30
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

Now, "alchemy' is their trademarked blend of Warrior, Millenium, and possibly others. Bittering hops are less important flavor-wise than aroma hops, they're more to add IBUs. So I just went with Millenium (you could split them if you want if you adjust the IBUs appropriately).

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-16-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
Spludge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sweet, I have some extra Cascade and Willamette so that works out perfect. Also the dry malt should help keep it a little lighter.
Should I start with two packets of liquid yeast? I've heard people like to overpitch hefes......?
Thanks for the recipe

Schadenfreud Brewing

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Husky Ice Hockey

Old 03-16-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spludge View Post
Sweet, I have some extra Cascade and Willamette so that works out perfect. Also the dry malt should help keep it a little lighter.
Should I start with two packets of liquid yeast? I've heard people like to overpitch hefes......?
Thanks for the recipe
Per my recipe, prepare a 3l starter. Pitching 2 packets is a more expensive way of accomplishing the same thing.

That's just pitching at the regular rate (1 packet would be severe underpitching), if you want to overpitch like some people do then you'd want a bigger starter (or more packets if you're going the expensive route).

On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
The Soft Underbelly
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I tried this beer for the first time last summer and WOW, what a good beer, crisp and refreshing. i'll have to give this clone it's day in court, i have the aroma hops, all i need are the bittering and the DME, can probably recycle the yeast from the hefe in my primary right now as well.

How close would you say this came to the actual beer?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
SumnerH
Recipes 

I haven't brewed it yet.

The hops and IBUs and OG and ABV are pulled directly from Pyramid's site, so they ought to be spot-on.

Upon further investigation (apparently confirmed by a source at Pyramid--not my source, someone else's), a 60/40 wheat/barley ratio is closer to what Pyramid uses, so adjust the 6 lbs of DME to hit that (e.g. if your wheat DME is 60/40, use 6 lbs of it and no light DME. If your wheat DME is 65/35, use 5.5 lbs of wheat DME and .5 lbs of light DME).

That leaves the yeast and fermenting temperature as the main variables. Wyeast 1010 is an American Pale Wheat that's the closest easily available (White Labs American wheat would work fine too).

If you're more ambitious, try cultivating a starter from the yeast in a bottle of Pyramid. However, their brewmaster John Donehower has said that they actually use a lager yeast (didn't specify the temps) so that could be pretty ambitious given the need for temperature control.

Whatever yeast you pick, I understand that they pitch a _lot_ of yeast to get a pretty neutral ester profile and high attenuation, so definitely make at _least_ a 3l starter and bigger may be better. With an American wheat yeast, low 60s is a reasonable guess at fermentation temperature (higher would be more estery, out of character for an American wheat like Pyramid).

Old 03-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
SumnerH
Recipes 

Actually, please scratch this recipe for the moment. Either I saved the wrong info or they've altered the info on their site. New recipe forthcoming in a few minutes.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
SumnerH
Recipes 

Okay, my deepest apologies for this if anyone brewed it; the hops schedule above is for the entirely different (hoppier) Widmer American wheat and _not_ Pyramid--I was researching both at the same time and crossed up my notes.

Pyramid - Hefeweizen notes:

Quote:
Original Gravity: 12.5
Alcohol By Volume: 5.20%
Malts: 39% 2 Row Pale Barley, 60% Malted Wheat,1% Caramel
Hops: Nugget, Liberty, Mt. Hood
Also, Pyramid Breweries, Inc. Brewer Interview - Brew-Monkey.Com has an interview with Pyramid's brewmaster that yields more useful information.

Nugget is obviously the bittering choice. 18 IBUs is the target given other sources. As noted above, 60/40 wheat/barley is what Pyramid has confirmed. So, here we go (formulating for my local wheat DME which is 65/35 and 43 gravity points--please adjust yours for your own DME to preserve the wheat/barley ratio and OG).

Tetrahedron American Wheat
Size: 5 gallons
Bitterness: 18 IBU
OG: 1.050
Boil: 60 minutes (3 gallon partial boil)
5 lb. 5 oz. Wheat extract
8 oz. Light DME
Hops:
.5 oz. Nugget (12% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Liberty (4% AA, 5 min.)
.5 oz. Mt. Hood (4.5% AA, 5 min.)

Yeast: Pitch a _lot_ of yeast (I'd prep a gallon starter, 3l minimum). American wheat yeast 1010 from Wyeast is a good choice.

Pyramid's version uses a lager yeast, which would be much more difficult to work with if you can't temperature-control your fermentation.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #9
Spludge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, are you some sort of recipe Jedi?
Thanks for your efforts, I will be brewing this tomorrow so I'll let you know how she turns out

Schadenfreud Brewing

Fermenting

Husky Ice Hockey

Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
Sciurus
Recipes 

I'm working on a hefeweisen that was recommended to me but I'm really looking forward to trying this one next. I'm really new at this so bear with me. When you get this made can you include any additional items like fermentation temp or other things you might think of?

Quick Reply