Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Purple Haze clone recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
AndrwHock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Purple Haze clone recipe?

I was wondering if anyone has a good purple haze clone. I know the ladies love the fruit beers, and it would be nice to have some on hand. It would also be a decent change from the tons of cream stout I have bottled. I've been looking around and here's what I've come up with so far for a 5 gallon batch. This is my first attempt at putting together a recipe so any help would be appreciated.

6# wheat LME

8 oz. Carapils

4 oz. Raspberry extract or puree, whatever I can find

I'm not sure what hops to use, perhaps 3 oz. Tettnang or 2 oz. Norther Brewer because I have that much left over

Wyeast 3068

Any suggestions? comments? funny anecdotes?

Thanks guys

Old 03-04-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've never made a wheat, so I am no help on the recipe. I did just bottle a batch of some kind of stout or porter using rasberry extract though. I used about 1.25 oz, maybe 1.5 oz. for 3 gallons. I bottled half the batch straight, then added the extract. I poured it in and tasted it, and that was perfect. I am sure glad I didn't dump in any more. Four oz. for five gallons is going to be way sweet in my opinion. That stuff is really concentrated. Whatever your recipe, I would use start with two ounces of the rasberry and taste test. You can add more, but you can't take it out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
AndrwHock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the tip on the raspberry. Does anyone have advice on what hops to use?

I mighty start brewing early next week. I'll be brewing one of the following: this recipe, a simple hefeweizen, or some brown ale recipe I saw on a site. I know, quite different, but the guys I live with have different taste. I'd probably lean more toward the brown ale myself...

Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My girlfriend loved Purple Haze and she deems this recipe even better. I have to agree. Extract is easier (and what Abita uses I've been told), but I think you can really tell the difference. The color of this brew was amazing, almost a deep cranberry color.

1 lb light DME
1 lb plain light DME
3.3 lb light LME
1 oz Mt Hood (60)
1 oz fuggles (10)
Wyeast 1056, US-05, etc. Neutral ale yeast.
72 oz frozen red raspberries (make sure no sugar added)

Brew beer as usual. After a week or so squish up the raspberries in their bag, then pasteurize them (hold at 170 degF for 10 minutes or so). Add those to secondary and rack beer on top. Use blowoff tube because you'll get a pretty violent secondary fermentation from all those natural sugars.

Get yourself a nice big funnel for the raspberries, or you're going to end up with a big mess. Trust me.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
ryanvt93
Recipes 

I'm new at this. Can you tell me the difference between light DME and plain light DME?

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanvt93 View Post
I'm new at this. Can you tell me the difference between light DME and plain light DME?

Thanks!
They are the same. I think they referred to plain light DME as being just "regular" DME, not wheat or dark for example.

You can use light or extra light interchangeably.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Looks like I was sort of mindlessly copying my brew notes. Just use light DME. I happened to have a bag of Munton's and a bag of LD Carlson on hand I believe. Slightly different names for the same exact thing.

After that post we've since started kegging. When this batch is on tap SWMBO makes me pretend that this one is in perpetual carbing mode if she feels the keg is being threatened.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #8
Speranza
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is an easy suggestion: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/citrus-weizen-34404/
I changed that up a bit and had a HUGE hit with all my friends. I left out the zest and I put in 2 pounds of frozen blackberries in the secondary. It was a lot more fruity than Purple Haze but was an awesome beer in the end. Also, it was a lot more alcoholic which is always a plus with good taste.

Tiny bubbles... In my beer... Makes me happy... Makes me want to cheer!

Old 04-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
Paullukephoto
Recipes 

Northern Brewer sell a Raspberry wheat ale as a kit, how close to flavor is this to Purple haze?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
BigTexun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo99 View Post
My girlfriend loved Purple Haze and she deems this recipe even better. I have to agree. Extract is easier (and what Abita uses I've been told), but I think you can really tell the difference. The color of this brew was amazing, almost a deep cranberry color.

1 lb light DME
1 lb plain light DME
3.3 lb light LME
1 oz Mt Hood (60)
1 oz fuggles (10)
Wyeast 1056, US-05, etc. Neutral ale yeast.
72 oz frozen red raspberries (make sure no sugar added)

Brew beer as usual. After a week or so squish up the raspberries in their bag, then pasteurize them (hold at 170 degF for 10 minutes or so). Add those to secondary and rack beer on top. Use blowoff tube because you'll get a pretty violent secondary fermentation from all those natural sugars.

Get yourself a nice big funnel for the raspberries, or you're going to end up with a big mess. Trust me.
I took a try at this recipe, so far it is a big disappointment. Tastes like grapefruit beer. I was so excited when it was in secondary... it looked dark red... but, it is coming out of the keg in a pink color.

I'm wondering what I did wrong... or, if it just needs more time to age.

Quick Reply