Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Extract Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/)
-   -   Pumpkin Spiced Ale (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/pumpkin-spiced-ale-196937/)

craig_reed 09-21-2010 08:12 PM

Pumpkin Spiced Ale
 
So I brewed my first batch of Pumpkin ale last weekend. I cut up a whole pumpkin (9lbs) that yielded about 5lbs of meat. I cubed, and baked them in the oven at 350 for a little over an hour with a 1/2 of water in the pan. Pumpkin turned out great!

Steeped my grains, and boiled all of my ingredients accordingly (if interested I can post my recipe as well!) but I put the chunked up pumpkin directly into the boil during the last 45 minutes of it.

Upon boil completion and transfer to primary, I strained out the pumpkin along with my hops. The color was phenomenal! A golden, burnt orange color that looked great.

Do you think I will have a strong enough pumkin flavor? I can't wait until this weekend when I rack it to my secondary to taste. I am toying with the idea of possibly adding some canned pumpkin to the secondary and racking on top of it. Any ideas?

I forgot to add my aroma hops to the last 10 minutes of my boil as well, so I just threw them into my primary- will leave them behind when racking to secondary (through strainer).

BarronVonCharron 09-22-2010 01:27 AM

The guys I know that have made a pumpkin beer with real pumpkin, put it into the primary and some in the secondary. I think if you put some canned pumpkin into the secondary that would be a good thing for a couple reasons, the first being canned pumpkin is easier to use than real (but might not taste as good), the second and more important reason being that since it's canned it's serile so your risk of infection should be much lower. I wouldn't sweat the hops too much (i'm not big on the hop flavor though). Did you put in any pumpkin spice? For what it's worth, very rarely does a pumpkin beer come out bad, and if you haven't added the spice you could put it in when you drink it, might be a nice touch if serving at a party.

craig_reed 09-22-2010 03:16 AM

Yes, I added fresh nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice, and ginger all with my vanilla extract (secret ingredient) with 10 minutes left in the boil. I plan on tasting it after the first week in the primary before racking to secondary to see how much/little pumpkin flavor there is.

The color was spot on lending me to believe pumpkin definitely got into the boil, how much flavor remains after fermentation however, is yet to be determined. Will keep you updated. Entered recipe into Beersmith today

DoctorB2B 09-22-2010 04:09 AM

You're pumpkin sounds like mine .... only difference .... I used about 5lbs pumpkin meat and an entire butternut squash ... and instead of vanilla extract, I threw an entire vanilla bean in .... bottled it tonight ... I'm pysched to try it in a couple of weeks!!!

Cheers to ya!!

craig_reed 09-22-2010 05:20 AM

Doctor - that sounds good. Not exactly sure what the squash would add to it (never really eat squash!) but I know it has similar flavor profile. I did want to use a vanilla bean, but wanted to make sure there was enough vanilla background to the beer.

Have you tested out your beer yet? Do you get a good vanilla flavor or can you even tell? Did you add the bean to the boil or fermenter? I can't wait to try mine either - probably around Halloween it'll be ready. Going to do the 1-2-3 method. What did you do?

DoctorB2B 09-22-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig_reed (Post 2291608)
Doctor - that sounds good. Not exactly sure what the squash would add to it (never really eat squash!) but I know it has similar flavor profile. I did want to use a vanilla bean, but wanted to make sure there was enough vanilla background to the beer.

Have you tested out your beer yet? Do you get a good vanilla flavor or can you even tell? Did you add the bean to the boil or fermenter? I can't wait to try mine either - probably around Halloween it'll be ready. Going to do the 1-2-3 method. What did you do?

I got the squash idea from Williamsburg Alewerks ... their pumpkin ale (going to be viral this year along with their Cafe Royale) was actually brewed with butternut because of the pumpkin shortage. So, instead of just using one, I justed both. Raw vanilla beans are pretty potent. I definitely detect it in the nose and it seems to have balanced itself well with the spices.

I tasted it .... and I'm satisfied with my first brew. I kept the brew in the primary for 2 weeks and it'll bottle condition for 2-3 weeks ...

craig_reed 09-22-2010 03:15 PM

Interesting. Sounds great! But you didn't secondary ferment at all? I think I am going to so I end up with a clearer beer in the end. I hope I get the vanilla background nose you are talking about with yours. I don't want it to be prominent, but I would like to have that slight "ooooh what's that" taste.

BarronVonCharron 09-22-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorB2B (Post 2292119)
Raw vanilla beans are pretty potent. I definitely detect it in the nose and it seems to have balanced itself well with the spices.

So how potent are vanilla beans? I put 6 of them into a very strong tasting and ABV (11.5%) beer during the boil to smooth out the flavor between the chocolate, cherry and sherry, but it wasn't even detectable when I sampled it on it's way into bottles a couple weeks ago. I guess I'll try it again in a few weeks to see how it's going.

craig_reed 09-23-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarronVonCharron (Post 2293427)
So how potent are vanilla beans? I put 6 of them into a very strong tasting and ABV (11.5%) beer during the boil to smooth out the flavor between the chocolate, cherry and sherry, but it wasn't even detectable when I sampled it on it's way into bottles a couple weeks ago. I guess I'll try it again in a few weeks to see how it's going.

Well if you want the vanilla flavor you should add them after fermenting or else the yeast will eat that too! Which may be why you don't have a vanilla flavor. I plan on putting one or two tbsp vanilla extract into my secondary fermenter and racking on top of it.

BarronVonCharron 09-23-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig_reed (Post 2293565)
Well if you want the vanilla flavor you should add them after fermenting or else the yeast will eat that too! Which may be why you don't have a vanilla flavor. I plan on putting one or two tbsp vanilla extract into my secondary fermenter and racking on top of it.

That would definitely explain the lack of vanilla:(... but now I know, and knowing is half the battle:mug:


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.