New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pumpkin Beer, hey how much pumpkin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #21
gxm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't brewed with pumpkin, but I have made alot of food with pumpkin & squash. If you want to use fresh produce, I wouldn't recommend anything that is aimed at being carved for Halloween. They are typically flavorless. Many stores will sell "pie pumpkins", which can be much more flavorful.

If I were going to brew a "pumpkin" beer (and I don't care too much for pumpkin spice in beer either), I would probably use acorn or butternut squash instead, as both tend to be more flavorful. Also, I find that smaller squash have more flavor than the larger ones.
If you have access to a farmer's market, talk to them about what you want to do, and they should be able to steer you to the right fruit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #22
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Interesting Idea GXM, I got all my stuff together already but I will have to try that sometime.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 11-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #23
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed an extract pumpkin ale and used one can of libby's pumpkin. I think that is the perfect amount, you wont get too much trub with just one can.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #24
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Only one Can? When did you use it, and did you get a chance to taste the finished brew yet? I got all kinds of answers and amounts now! I got 5 large cans worth of the stuff for tomorrow!

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #25
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipans View Post
Only one Can? When did you use it, and did you get a chance to taste the finished brew yet? I got all kinds of answers and amounts now! I got 5 large cans worth of the stuff for tomorrow!
I used it late in the boil, and I did taste the finished beer and it was very good. Lots of aroma (due to the spice pack i suppose) It was a well balanced beer, not overly spicey and not under spiced. I dont know how much the pumpkin really contributes to the final taste but it is a great beer.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #26
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would guess the one can didn't do much as from what I have learned the spice pretty much makes the "Pumkin Ale" what is it. However, that didn't stop me from using 6lbs of canned pumpkin during the boil. I think I will end up with about 3 gallons of usable beer in the end, but we live and learn.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #27
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed a pumpkin porter, based off Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale. I boiled the pumpkin (2.5 cans of Kroger brand pumpkin) and added two 1 tsp infusions of McCormick pumpkin pie spice "spice tea" in secondary (spaced ~4 days apart). The spice was overpowering at first but it tamed down quite respectibly. I personally think this is the best beer I've devised "myself" so far, I used 2 oz black patent IIRC and it complements the pumpkin/spice flavor very well.

I know iamjohnsharp (a.k.a. Chubby Kid Brewing Company) here on the forum brews a squash based "pumpkin" brew that he calls "The Impostor." I highly recommend checking out the label for it in the Label & Display Discussion Forum.

Kyle

Quick Reply