New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pumpkin Ale Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #21
a_hard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohaz7331
Not to high jack this thread but just a quick question regarding pumpkin spice. My kit supplied a teaspoon of pumpkin spice but I love pumpkin so I would like to add a little more spice. When I go to transfer to secondary I want to add more spice but my question is would 1 teaspoon or 1 tablespoon be better? I just feel that a teaspoon is so little for 5 gallons but I have never made pumpkin beer before so any advice would be great.
The spice in Midwest kits is just cinnamon and nutmeg. I used whole spices in the last ten minutes, cloves, nutmeg, dash of allspice, a shard of cinnamon, and some other savory spices. I matched SWMBO pumpkin pie spices, same amount for one pie. Its in the primary now but tastes delicious. We will rack it onto some roasted squash for the last bit of flavor. Remember when you eat pumpkin pie the spices are the flavor and pumpkin is the filler.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 AM   #22
berxleben
Recipes 

since everyone's been a big help so far, i need more help. I tell you what, this has been a nightmare brew. Anyway, went to look at the brew today and saw this, thought i'd get a second opinion. Contamination or is that my yeast doing weird things? As always, any help is appreciated

Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #23
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berxleben
since everyone's been a big help so far, i need more help. I tell you what, this has been a nightmare brew. Anyway, went to look at the brew today and saw this, thought i'd get a second opinion. Contamination or is that my yeast doing weird things? As always, any help is appreciated
Does it smell odd? I am inclined to say it is mold, but I hope I'm wrong.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #24
psrankin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by berxleben
Look closely, if the off colored spots are in fact tiny bubbles you are fine.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #25
berxleben
Recipes 

My eyes aren't that good, however, I took a quick smell of the brew by removing the airlock, it smelled fantastic, no off scents or anything which I found surprising. I'll be bottling what little I have this weekend and we'll see what happens. I'll post again after bottling

Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #26
psrankin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by berxleben View Post
My eyes aren't that good, however, I took a quick smell of the brew by removing the airlock, it smelled fantastic, no off scents or anything which I found surprising. I'll be bottling what little I have this weekend and we'll see what happens. I'll post again after bottling
I think you are fine, especially if it smells fantastic.

Quick Reply