Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pumpkin Ale minus the Pumpkin?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #11
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak View Post
Are you supposed to bake the pumpkin that comes in a can???? I didn't last weekend, just opened the cans and put them in the water at 155*
After reading this thread, the general consensus was that if you bake the pumpkin you can get some carmelized pumpkin flavors or something of the sort. Bottled my porter about 3 weeks ago. Haven't tried one yet. I hope it's awesome.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
skinydipper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Guys - there are a huge difference between a baking (sugar) pumpkin and the over-priced pumpkins sold for jack-o-lanterns.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/v...c.php?id=24238

Just sayin.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
duskb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
Howdy folks,

Looking to brew a Chocolate Pumpkin Spiced Ale for a rapidly approaching October. I've read conflicting information here on the forums, and among other places, in regards to whether or not I should add Pumpkin. Some folks say "Add the Pumpkin for color, mouthfeel, and for a slight taste". Others say just add the spices during the last 5 minutes.

Will the Pumpkin make that much of a difference? I know that Pumpkin is generally quite bland without the spice. This is going to be an extract recipe.
Also, depending on whether or not I use pumpkin, would I still need a mini-mash? Or should I just steep the grains like normal?

Thanks!

I posted a similar question tonight in the "general" forum (Halloween vs Xmas). My understanding is that a high percentage of the flavor we think pumpkin provides is actually the spices put in it, the meat itself supposedly offers very little. Since I have yet to see a response to my post I'm going to assume no one can refute this.

That being said my LHBS gave me a Holiday Spiced Ale recipie that I've made two years in a row and it's a great tasting ale which I'll be making again this year, unless someone can talk me into the effort of making a pumpkin ale. I'd be glad to post it if it was of interest.

Food for thought....

----
Dusk Bennett
Audio Engineer
Los Angeles CA
www.duskbennett.com

Quick Reply