Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Proud Dad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Radarbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Proud Dad

My number 3 son wanted to do a brew with me. Yes, he's under age and under adult supervision, but I explained what was gonna happen, stressed cleanliness, and we started from there. It was a simple extract ale, with some DME and a bit of Irish moss, nothing fancy. Basically I just pointed and he did all the work, I had the heavy lifting job. We purposlly used the glass carboy to get the visual effect and were done brewing in about 2 hours. The next morning it was bubbling nonstop, and still going. We covered it with a black sweatshirt, and let it go. I peeked in on it and he was sniffing the airlock a little bit later. He comes out and says "Dad, it smells like a good batch". Man, made my chest swell up, and throat got all tight.
If that don't beat video games and TV, I don't know what will.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
spie0092
Recipes 

Great news! Truly better experience than he could have with the TV or Video games. It teaches him patience and attention to detail, and in the end he will have something to be proud of... good for the both of you!

Drinking ~ Irish Sout, Amber Wheat

Old 03-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I can't wait to have a son to share this with... daughter will work to . Congratz to you and your son!!

... I won't tell if you let him taste it when its done.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Can't beat it. How old is he?
Is he old enough to sample it?
It does good to educate young'uns about alcohol. Making it taboo just makes them want it more. I was allowed a small glass of beer or wine with special meals when I was a youngster.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I agree Orfy, and its perfectly legal in your own home under parental supervision. Not too mention, homebrew will make you respect alcohol as a complex art versus a way to get drunk.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
shbrewer
Recipes 

Default Educational

I use it as a teaching tool. Not just to respect alcohol, but also lessons in Microbiology and math. I have my son (11) do formulas and research on how the yeastys (as he calls them) do their work. It was funny that he wanted to do a paper in science of how the process works. I told him to hold off a few years and do it for a college paper when he was getting his biology degree. That way he can be a brewmaster and Daddy won't have to brew into his old age. And yes he does try a sip of what we brew. You should see him taste, swallow, breath into his mouth and out his nose and tell me what he tastes.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Maybe when he sees all the work and patience that goes into making good beer, he won't be so apt to consume mass quantities of swill when he's in college. He'll slowly drink a fine beer and appreciate it, instead of beer-bonging three things that taste like puddle-water.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Congrats on the Father/Son brew day, My boy is just one right now and I can't wait until we can share an experience like that. We brew together now but he mostly just likes to smack the side of the carboy and grab the siphon tube while I am racking. I have to agree with everyone here on the important life lessons to be learned from brewing, like patience and cleanliness.

The family that brews together, stays together.

Cheers

Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
Congrats on the Father/Son brew day, My boy is just one right now and I can't wait until we can share an experience like that. We brew together now but he mostly just likes to smack the side of the carboy and grab the siphon tube while I am racking. I have to agree with everyone here on the important life lessons to be learned from brewing, like patience and cleanliness.

The family that brews together, stays together.

Cheers
My boy is a crappy assistant brewmaster. He cries, he wants snacks, and an hour in he wants to take a two hour break to take a nap! His performance evaluation is far from stunning.

He'll work out well over time, I just need to develop his job responsibilities. So far, they include "Don't touch" and "Go play in the living room". He fails at both.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cheese, you absolutely nailed it. Amen. I've started doing something akin to what Radar is doing with his son, in my case, it's my daughter. I figure, like Cheese, teach her to respect and appreciate good brew that it will quell her curiousity and have a well founded education on the arts of brewing. I for one, don't want my daughter "beer bonging" just because it was strictly taboo at the house. She has told me that she doesn't like beer, and I tell her that's OK. Someday she might and I'll teach her that it's OK to drink, just be responsible and know your limits. Getting stupid only makes you stupid.

Quick Reply