Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Priming: Sugar vs DME vs ???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
ARV9673
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming: Sugar vs DME vs ???

I went to local HBS, presumably to pick up some sugar to prime the Blue Moon clone (*fingers crossed*) I've got in the primary right now. He mentioned that for it to truly be original, it should be primed with DME, or really,... and then he started using all "brewer-speak" and I lost what he was saying. SWMBO was with me, so I did not have time to linger and coax what he meant out in English that this ex-jarhead could understand. Do most people just use sugar? Or DME? or whatever he was talking about?

I still can't believe SWMBO actually encourages me to make beer. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4471 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Some people use DME, some use corn sugar. I suppose some have used honey or something as well. In the past, I've used both DME and corn (priming) sugar, and truly have never noticed a difference. I'd say go ahead and use the priming sugar if you have it- it's a bit faster then the DME.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can use 1 1/4 cup dried malt extract instead of 3/4 cup priming sugar... pretty simple...

I mix it up and use both (edit: not at the same time; sometimes i use sugar, sometimes i use DME, not a mixture of the two)...

I think what he meant by 'truly original' was that it would be all-malt if you prime with DME, as opposed to 'sugar'. Although there isn't a huge difference between the two that I can tell...

Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Or maybe what he meant by "truly original" was that he gets a better profit on the DME (j/k I don't know truthfully what he was talking about)

Like the Yooper Mistress says, I truly doubt you would ever be able to tell the difference. I use Corn Sugar to prime with, although if I were trying a traditional Lager I might experiment with Krausening; the method of adding unfermented wort to prime.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The beer snob in me tells me to use DME

Beer is Water, Malt, Hops and yeast.
So the DME fits with that.
But Corn sugar ferements easier and quicker so I think most seem to use it and are happy.

I am a beer snob and an EAC so I use DME.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I think Orfy hit the nail on the head. If it's important to you to brew according to the Reinheitsgebot (beer = water, malt, hops, yeast ONLY), then prime with DME. If it's more important to you to save a few bucks, then use corn sugar.

Some people claim that DME produces smaller, more pleasant looking bubbles, but I have used both and don't think I can tell the difference.

I generally use corn sugar.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 02-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've got my fingers crossed. I just primed with DME for the first time the other day. I'm trying to find a warm place in my house (was -14 yesterday morning here) (not in the house, you understand-- that was the outside temp-- despite SWMBO's complaints, it actually is a little warmer than that in here)

Note to beer snobs (myself included): there has been discussion here in the past about how LME is not necessarily pure malt extract. Lots of it has lots of dextrose in it. So, if you use LME (as I do) you may not really be following the hallowed beer laws anyway.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I suppose I missed the discussion but according to the ingredients listed on the cans of LME that I actually read, all they have is water and malt extract. Are the threads still around?

PS - since I place a value on tiny, long lasting bubbles in my brew's head, not to mention compliance with tradition, I will try DME to prime my next bactch.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Yes LME and DME are both Malt, LME has just not had all the water removed.
Hence you need to use more LME for priming. Plus it's easier to have an opened pack of DME in store than LME.

There's no reason you can't prime with LME, it's just a pita!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

DME will give you more sediment, cost more, require more product, take longer to carb, and is harder to work with and keep fresh.

That being said, some still say their bubbles are smaller more crisp w/DME.

Priming with corn sugar causes the yeast to start making CO2 (and little alcohol) right away (google "Crabtree Effect"), instead of first reproducing. Thus the lesser sediment and carb time.

Still, I'd say to try both and find out for yourself. Just know either WILL WORK!
Cheers

Quick Reply