Old 01-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #41
GroosBrewz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
The only OTHER ingredients called for with these kits is 1) sugar, 2) water, and 3) yeast!

True, Dave R, tried a batch without the sugar, and doubling the LME, and didn't like it, but I'm gonna have to try it and see for myself.

These kits are so cheap that I feel the need to do some major experimenting and playing around before moving on to bigger and better projects.

If y'all lived in a dry county, surrounded by dry counties, you would probably feel more like I do about wanting to apply some extra effort, and attempt to massage these kits for optimum results!

Pogo
Who is saying that you can't play around with them or massage them for optimum results? I think you got the whole tone of that post incorrect... I agree, play around with it and try it out! I know I did.. That post was simply a message to my brother (who lives in another town- I guess I should have clarified that) about my own personal experiences with premier.. But by all means, experiment.. Everyones tastes are different.. Good luck and happy brewing

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Last edited by GroosBrewz; 01-29-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #42
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey bullrider -

No harm...no foul!

I'm sorry if my response seemed testy, I didn't mean it to be!

I realized that you were replying to Corker, who was indicating that he saw merit in substituting a second can of liquid extract for the sugar in the recipe, as did I.

And, your advice was spot on!

I was just thinking out loud I guess!

Pogo

Old 01-30-2009, 01:55 AM   #43
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Hey bullrider -

No harm...no foul!

I'm sorry if my response seemed testy, I didn't mean it to be!

I realized that you were replying to Corker, who was indicating that he saw merit in substituting a second can of liquid extract for the sugar in the recipe, as did I.

And, your advice was spot on!

I was just thinking out loud I guess!

Pogo
Cool.. Be sure to post your results!!

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 3- Twilight Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 01-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #44
Corkster
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrider4 View Post
Yo Corkster- Chris here....
So you are planning on using two cans, but following the recipe for one can? In essence, using your 2nd can as a "sugar" source? If so, then you are going to double the hop flavor, so just remember that. I believe there was a post somehwere in this forum about a guy who did it and said that wasnt very good.. I would still recommed trying one can (or two if you want-but be sure to double the ingredients in the given recipe) and using DME in place of the sugar.. I think it wil give you a better brew......
I was hoping they might have a can of un-hopped extract. Alas, they did not.

So then I was gonna go with the DME, but my only local HB source is an Ace Hardware and their DME, while probably not overpriced, did seem a bit spendy for a starter run of what is supposed to be cheap beer anyway.

My buddy at work is gonna start a batch of Premier at the same time as I do and he's gonna use the DME while I'm gonna use table sugar, then we'll be able to compare and see the difference.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #45
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkster View Post
I was hoping they might have a can of un-hopped extract. Alas, they did not.

So then I was gonna go with the DME, but my only local HB source is an Ace Hardware and their DME, while probably not overpriced, did seem a bit spendy for a starter run of what is supposed to be cheap beer anyway.

My buddy at work is gonna start a batch of Premier at the same time as I do and he's gonna use the DME while I'm gonna use table sugar, then we'll be able to compare and see the difference.
So you got one can of premier? I will buy you the DME when I get in town tomorrow (Saturday).. Dont use the table sugar!

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 3- Twilight Clone

Old 02-06-2009, 05:40 AM   #46
Corkster
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Ok, all has gone quite well thus far. Used two LBs of DME instead of table sugar... fermentation went quite well but all airlock activity stopped rather abruptly... 4 days total... I'm not all that worried about that since Joy of Homebrewing states that 3 day complete fermentations are not uncommon.

I took a hydrometer reading yesterday and got a 1.011, took one today and got 1.012 that seemed a bit odd...shouldn't the # be getting lower rather than higher? Also the beer was a few degrees warmer when I checked it today (and got the higher number) than it was yesterday.... Warmer temps should result in a lower reading if I understand hydrometer science at all.... but regardless, I'll keep checking until I get the same reading a few days in a row then.... Bottling!!

Right now the beer tastes a bit fruity and rather bitter..... I can't wait to see what happens to the flavor after proper bottle conditioning!

Last edited by Corkster; 02-06-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #47
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What's the hop flavor like with these Premier kits? Is it just bitter or is there actual flavor?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #48
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanoue View Post
What's the hop flavor like with these Premier kits? Is it just bitter or is there actual flavor?

there is some flavor there, but there is no aroma.. Not bitter after bottle conditioning.

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 3- Twilight Clone

Old 02-08-2009, 05:23 AM   #49
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well...I'm sitting here amazed!

This batch of Premier Malt Extract beer with two pounds of Extra Light DME is fantastic!

I'm truly not a REAL beer person, but this stuff is worth doing!

I'm going to have to develop a beer vocabulary, just to be able to properly describe all of the tastes involved here.

It has plenty of aroma, taste, feel...this is good stuff.

This batch is eighteen days old today, pitched on 01/21/09, with an OG of 1.031.

Today the SG is 1.012. I must of mis-read the potential alcohol scale earlier. I was thinking that a fermentation down to 1.015 would yeild an ABV of about 4%, but I was wrong.

Fermenting from 1.031 down to 1.012 gives me an ABV of only 2.489%. But, the taste is wonderful!

I could find no cidery after taste. I'm thinking that this batch is going to get even better as it conditions on out.

BTW - this kit came with a packet of Lager yeast, I used it, and it was viable. Thankfully, I rigged a blow-off tube into a bucket of water, because it pumped out plenty of foam even with temps in the fifties.

I'm thinking that i need to rig a refridgerator to ferment with Lager yeasts year around. I'm definitely going to do another batch onto this yeast cake, and use another carboy to continue tweeking these kit recipes.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can boost the ABV, without sugar, at this stage in the process?

Pogo

Old 02-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #50
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Well...I'm sitting here amazed!

This batch of Premier Malt Extract beer with two pounds of Extra Light DME is fantastic!

I'm truly not a REAL beer person, but this stuff is worth doing!

I'm going to have to develop a beer vocabulary, just to be able to properly describe all of the tastes involved here.

It has plenty of aroma, taste, feel...this is good stuff.

This batch is eighteen days old today, pitched on 01/21/09, with an OG of 1.031.

Today the SG is 1.012. I must of mis-read the potential alcohol scale earlier. I was thinking that a fermentation down to 1.015 would yeild an ABV of about 4%, but I was wrong.

Fermenting from 1.031 down to 1.012 gives me an ABV of only 2.489%. But, the taste is wonderful!

I could find no cidery after taste. I'm thinking that this batch is going to get even better as it conditions on out.

BTW - this kit came with a packet of Lager yeast, I used it, and it was viable. Thankfully, I rigged a blow-off tube into a bucket of water, because it pumped out plenty of foam even with temps in the fifties.

I'm thinking that i need to rig a refridgerator to ferment with Lager yeasts year around. I'm definitely going to do another batch onto this yeast cake, and use another carboy to continue tweeking these kit recipes.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can boost the ABV, without sugar, at this stage in the process?

Pogo
Hey Pogo!
I am glad your batch came out well!! Congrats. My brother and I made a batch of this last weekend.. He should probably be bottling today.. You said yours came with a packet of Lager yeast?? Out in Washington, ours comes with Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast... Although we ended up using SafeAle 04, I think it was the 04) because we rehydrated our yeast too soon and had some sanitation issues...

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 3- Twilight Clone

Quick Reply