Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Premier malt extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #31
Dave R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah Pogo. I was going to tell you to try the WDG in Cullman since those are the Mom and Pop stores my company delivers to. I personally don't deliver to those two stores, but have once or twice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 AM   #32
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Dave,

You seem to be the resident expert on using these Premier malt kits.

Have you, or anyone, tried using two of these 2.2 pound cans together for one 5 gallon batch?

The reading that I've been doing on brewing with extract kits seems to lean toward the addition of refined sugar being the cause of off flavors.

I've just started my second batch, and am using 2 pounds of Extra Light DME instead of cane/beet or corn sugar, at $5.99 per pound, plus tax.

I think that my next 5 or 6 gallon batch is going to be a 'two cans of Premier extract batch', and no sugar, if this DME batch is good!

Pogo

Old 01-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #33
Dave R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried it one time with 2 cans and no sugar, but I didn't have a hydrometer at the time and couldn't tell what the OG or FG was. It was good but I didn't like it as well as one can and 7 cups sugar. It definitely wasn't worth the expense of the extra can, IMO.
But you should try it yourself as tastes vary and keep experimenting. I'm still experimenting with the stuff after 2 years of using it.

Some stores have quit selling it, I noticed. I hope that's not going to be a trend.

I'm contemplating going to All-Grain soon anyway, so I guess it won't matter.

I mainly started out using Premier because I could run down to the store a quarter mile away and buy it and it was cheap. I was only going to use it until I got my routine down pat and my sanitation technique, etc. Then I was having so much fun experimenting that I just kept using it.
Time to move on now, though, I'm thinking.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #34
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I tried it one time with 2 cans and no sugar, but I didn't have a hydrometer at the time and couldn't tell what the OG or FG was. It was good but I didn't like it as well as one can and 7 cups sugar. It definitely wasn't worth the expense of the extra can, IMO.
But you should try it yourself as tastes vary and keep experimenting. I'm still experimenting with the stuff after 2 years of using it.

Some stores have quit selling it, I noticed. I hope that's not going to be a trend.

I'm contemplating going to All-Grain soon anyway, so I guess it won't matter.

I mainly started out using Premier because I could run down to the store a quarter mile away and buy it and it was cheap. I was only going to use it until I got my routine down pat and my sanitation technique, etc. Then I was having so much fun experimenting that I just kept using it.
Time to move on now, though, I'm thinking.

I did the same exact thing. Near the end of the summer I was getting tired of it Then the local market stopped carrying it and at first I was up set but realized it was fun to brew it and cheap but after making some good brews the premier was no longer that great I have three cans left and a batch in a keg and I almost can't wait until its gone.

Some day maybe I will come across it agian and YES I will have to brew it once just for old times

Old 01-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #35
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well...if stores are no longer stocking it, then it has to mean that the demand for it is gone.

Fortunately for me, both of the Piggly Wiggly stores, and both of the Warehouse Discount Groceries around here still carry it, plus an independent grocer about 5 miles away. I'm sure that being in a dry county is the main reason for this.

Anyway, my OG using one can of Premier Malt Extract, no sugar, and 2 pounds of Extra Light DME in a 5 gallon primary, was 1.031.

If it ferments down to 1.015 it will yeild approximately 4% ABV...which is all I can ask for!

I'll give an update when something worth sharing happens.

Pogo

Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #36
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I can't find any of this stuff up here in Illinois. I'd love to try a prohibition-style brew (minus the sloppiness and bread yeast).

Has anybody seen any in the Great Lakes area? I know they're based out of Michigan. Anybody seen any there?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 AM   #37
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Premier has a 1-800 number...I can't seem to find it right now...but you can Google for it and/or email them for sources near you.

Try asking your grocer to order you some, even if it's on his supply list, they might not be stocking it if there is no demand.

Pogo

Old 01-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #38
Corkster
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 6 Posts

My older Brother is pretty into homebrewing and has recommended this very project to me to try as a first foray into homebrewing.

I will look around in the next couple days and hope to find the stuff locally.

He mentioned though that using table sugar seemed to give the final product a "cidery" taste so I was considering getting a second can as well...

Old 01-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #39
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkster View Post
My older Brother is pretty into homebrewing and has recommended this very project to me to try as a first foray into homebrewing.

I will look around in the next couple days and hope to find the stuff locally.

He mentioned though that using table sugar seemed to give the final product a "cidery" taste so I was considering getting a second can as well...
Yo Corkster- Chris here....
So you are planning on using two cans, but following the recipe for one can? In essence, using your 2nd can as a "sugar" source? If so, then you are going to double the hop flavor, so just remember that. I believe there was a post somehwere in this forum about a guy who did it and said that wasnt very good.. I would still recommed trying one can (or two if you want-but be sure to double the ingredients in the given recipe) and using DME in place of the sugar.. I think it wil give you a better brew......

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 01-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #40
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only OTHER ingredients called for with these kits is 1) sugar, 2) water, and 3) yeast!

True, Dave R, tried a batch without the sugar, and doubling the LME, and didn't like it, but I'm gonna have to try it and see for myself.

These kits are so cheap that I feel the need to do some major experimenting and playing around before moving on to bigger and better projects.

If y'all lived in a dry county, surrounded by dry counties, you would probably feel more like I do about wanting to apply some extra effort, and attempt to massage these kits for optimum results!

Pogo

Quick Reply