Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Premier malt extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2008, 02:20 AM   #21
Pogo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is great!

I've just found this thread through a search!

What luck...I was in the local Piggly Wiggly (a supermarket chain here in the SE) this afternoon. I had a shopping list of items for the holidays coming up, and guess what I discovered right there under the Karo's Dark Brown Corn Syrup?

Yep! A whole shelf of 2.2 LB/1 Kilogram cans of Premier Malt Extract, Natural Hop Flavored, Light @ $5.69 + tax.

The cashier said that they sell tons of the stuff! (This is a DRY county, BTW!!!)

I've read the Mr. Beer thread on this forum, but this seems even easier.

I'm going to try the recipe as posted by Revvy.

If any one has any advice, experiences, to add since the last post here, I'd be grateful to know about it!

The Light is the only variety that they stock here, has anyone tried the Amber, or any of the others?

Pogo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
This is great!

I've just found this thread through a search!

What luck...I was in the local Piggly Wiggly (a supermarket chain here in the SE) this afternoon. I had a shopping list of items for the holidays coming up, and guess what I discovered right there under the Karo's Dark Brown Corn Syrup?

Yep! A whole shelf of 2.2 LB/1 Kilogram cans of Premier Malt Extract, Natural Hop Flavored, Light @ $5.69 + tax.

The cashier said that they sell tons of the stuff! (This is a DRY county, BTW!!!)

I've read the Mr. Beer thread on this forum, but this seems even easier.

I'm going to try the recipe as posted by Revvy.

If any one has any advice, experiences, to add since the last post here, I'd be grateful to know about it!

The Light is the only variety that they stock here, has anyone tried the Amber, or any of the others?

Pogo
I have a feeling you are going to be the Premeir Malt Extract Pioneer on this forum...you're going to have to keep US posted...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #23
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm thinking that there is probably not much of a facility to tour up there in Michigan.

The label on the can says 'Made in the UK for...', so the Warren location is probably a warehouse.

There is a little slip of paper with directions and a recipe (with variations) under the can's plastic cover, along with a packet of dry brewers yeast.

The variations to the recipe amount to reductions in the amount of water used, which they indicate change the taste AND the ABV.

So, making less than a five gallon batch gives one a stronger tasting brew, with more kick, too.

The label also says to, "Write for recipe.", which I've decided to do.

This is so simple, and as Dave R posted above, after making more than 200 gallons with all kinds of twists, "...all are better than BMC."

If this is accurate, Premier Malt Extract is the Apfelwein of beer brewing!

Pogo

Old 11-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #24
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post

Yep! A whole shelf of 2.2 LB/1 Kilogram cans of Premier Malt Extract, Natural Hop Flavored, Light @ $5.69 + tax....
Pogo
Man, I got all excited reading this and headed to the nearest PW by my home and they didn't have any!

There's another one on the other side of town, so I still might find this stuff. I'm really wanting to make a batch of this brew for nostalgia's sake.
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #25
Dave R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It can be found in most Mom/Pop type grocery stores right by the syrups ( of which I've used different types in my beers ).

I've never seen it in the WalMart stores or any of the major brand name grocery stores.

It takes me less than an hour to make a batch using Premier.

Note: I've only seen the "Light" Malt Extract, Hop Flavored. Directions and a packet of yeast are under the lid. It must go pretty fast around here because the yeast has always been viable when I've used it.

Usually I dump my wort right on top of the previous yeast cake so I don't always use the new packets of yeast right away, but do eventually.

Pogo...where in Al. are you? We might be neighbors.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:35 AM   #26
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey ma2brew -

I'll bet that they can order it for you. I'm thinking that it's gotta be available on their supply list.

If I was a member of a decent sized brew club, I'd consider trying to get set up as a wholesaler myself, and buy in bulk for the members.

This stuff could really get inexpensive if a few people could come together long enough to create a nice opening order, huh?

Premier's website has a toll free number.

Hey Dave -

You seem to be the resident expert on using Premier Malt Extract.

I hope that I like this first batch, cause that will mean that there will be many more!

I see that you're in the Gadsden area.

I'm way out in the farms and fields here in rural Cullman county, probably 60 miles away, at least.

Pogo

Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #27
djames
Recipes 

Default djames

You are on the mark. To clear the beer, try adding a few camden tablets. I have a batch brewing now. I also test the alcohol content at start of fermantation. and again before bottling. Before adding yeast I put the yeast in 2 ounces of warm water for about 15 minutes, then add to the wort.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #28
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
To clear the beer, try adding a few camden tablets
I have made 20+ gallons of this last year and they all were extremely clear with out adding any thing. May let it sit longer??

Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #29
Socrates_the_Dog
Recipes 

Wow, I used those when I first started brewing back in the early '90's. Made some decent beer as I recall.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:22 AM   #30
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BTW - I called Premier's home office regarding an opening order to get set up as a wholesaler...18 cases is the amount.

Also, both Warehouse Groceries in town stock this LME as well!

$5.19 + tax!

Pogo

Quick Reply