Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Premier malt extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
Tenchiro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
Congrats. Glad you enjoyed it. You can add a "clarifier" like Irish Moss that may help with clearing your beer.
Will Irish Moss work on a no boil kit? Isinglass should work though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well let me face up a little here. I have made a batch of this in the past. I thought it was good NOT great but a decent every day beer. Hey think of it this way, It has more color than Budweiser, Coors or miller. Has more taste and YES it is a whole lot cheaper than any Bud etc.

Was seeing what others thought of this and find any good tips or recipes including this

Gramps loves it and it's kind of "cool" to BS with him about this beer

Old 06-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
Sgt. Major
Recipes 

Default Futher thoughts

I bottled it, and let it sit for several days now. After cooling the beer, it cleared up nicely. The taste has greatly improved! I have to admit, it is better than most commercial beers on the market, however, it is very filling. It also has a little more potency than I like in a brew. Can't handle too many of these in one sitting! A very nice dark amber color and has hints of apples and spice in smell. The taste is smooth and crisp with a nice finish. After getting off of work (about an hour ago), I poured a glass and went out to the garden for my morning inspection. Talk about an enjoyable experience!!! A nice, cool morning with dew still on the grass, my first attempt at making beer in hand, sun shining through the brew....what a way to end a long night shift. I'm hooked!

Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Wow, they're in Michigan on the same street as Dragonmead Microbrewery...interesting.

Quote:
Premier Malt Products
25760 Groesbeck Hwy., Suite 103
Warren, MI 48089
Toll-Free: 800-521-1057
Local: 586-443-3355
AND they've been around for 50 years....So they were making Pre (homebrewing) Prohibition malt products....I wonder if they give tours.

A little of their history...
Quote:
There were also those who sold beer-related products with a wink and a nod. For instance, Premier Malt Products shipped malt extract under a variety of names - Blue Ribbon and Banner were two of them - out of Peoria Heights, Ill., starting in 1925. And when Prohibition ended, Premier Pabst Corp. went immediately to making beer in Peoria Heights.
So they were the original maltsers of Blue Ribbon Malt extract.

They were the company that if you wrote requesting baking recipes, they sent you this;

But if you were interested in another kind of recipe, this is what happenned.

Quote:
Around 1975 or '76, the first time I got interested in brewing, I bought a can of the mysterious Blue Ribbon malt syrup. The label invited me to write to Premier malt products for a recipe book, and I did. A few weeks later it arrived: a well-produced, four-color print job with recipes for using malt syrup in cakes, cookies, biscuits and the like, but not a word about making beer. A few weeks later a plain brown envelope with no return address appeared in the mail. Inside were two mimeographed sheets of beer recipes---including this recipe.
Ingredients:
1-3/4 pounds, sugar
1 can, Blue Ribbon hop-flavored malt syrup
yeast
Procedure:
Dissolve sugar and malt syrup in 6 quarts of hot water. Stir until dissolved. Pour 14 quarts of cold water into a crock that has been scoured with Arm & Hammer baking soda and rinsed with clear water. Add hot solution of malt, sugar, and water. The temperature should be about 65F. Dissolve a cake of compressed or dehydrated yeast in a small quantity of luke warm water (about 8 ounces of 75F water) and add to crock. Stir thoroughly. Cover crock with clean cloth and allow to ferment 4 or 5 days. Skim off foam after first and second days. Siphon beer into 12 ounce bottles. Before siphoning, place a scant 1/2 teaspoon of sugar into each bottle. Cap and allow to remain at 60-70F for 7-10 days. Cool and consume.
Things to remember: Cleanliness of utensils, including bottles, siphon hose, crowns and crock is essential for good results. Wash everything in soda solution or detergentbefore and after each batch. A 7 or 9 gallon crock can be used to prevent messy foam-over.

Many consumer failures can be averted by using a starter consisting of: 1 package of yeast, 2 ounces of sugar, 1 pint of 72F water. Let starter stand for 3-4 hours before mixing into crock with malt solution.
Too cool, I wonder if they have a historical archives...and if their Dry Malt Extract is any good...I think it would be fun just to tour their malting setup.

If you want to hear about actual homebrewers who used it in the 70's (including charlie Papazian) listen to this Basicbrewing podcast from a couple weeks back.

Just click to start listenning.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...-08history.mp3

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #15
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 71

This is by far one of the best threads I have read on here. I really need to ahold of some of the Blue Ribbon Malt! PBR was the only beer my grandfather woulf dring, and my first beer as well ( given from his hand when I was 15). My grandfather was me hero and mentor, and for a side note, he past away from a stroke in 1987 with a PBR in hand, never spilled a drop. I can still remeber the Dr.'s talking about having to remove it from his hand.

I would deffintaly love to do a brew in his honor if I can get some of the malt.

Tim

Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #16
hkohl
Recipes 

Default Primier malt extract

Made lots of this beer when I was younger. It was called Blue Ribbon made by Pabst. You could do it the easier way and go buy Chimay made by the Monks, tastes the same. EC Kraus.com has this malt. Happy brewing!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #17
Dave R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've made over 200 gallons using this malt extract and have used different additives like vanilla, strawberry, raspberry, cinnamon, even almonds and most have been decent beers...all are better than BMC.
The can is only $4.90 around here. I use it as directed. I tried using two cans and no sugar and I didn't like it as much.
If you are going to use this, use it according to the directions.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #18
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was getting it the same way. The local supermarket sold it for 4.99. Just the other week they stopped carrying it . Oh well I am sure I will come across it local sooner or later.

I can't see paying over $16.00 off the web when I was purchasing it for under $5 local.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #19
Tomfooleryxxx
Recipes 

My local market also stopped carrying it within the past month.(Hannaford) I made a ginger ale out of 2 cans and a 4" chunk of grated ginger root, sampled it while bottling wasn't too bad. Tough to beat the price even at 6.50 a can. What stores are still carrying it ? I've checked Shaws Supermarkets and WalMart they don't carry it

Old 09-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #20
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfooleryxxx View Post
My local market also stopped carrying it within the past month.(Hannaford) I made a ginger ale out of 2 cans and a 4" chunk of grated ginger root, sampled it while bottling wasn't too bad. Tough to beat the price even at 6.50 a can. What stores are still carrying it ? I've checked Shaws Supermarkets and WalMart they don't carry it
Same store here (Hannaford) Seams to be every where.

Quick Reply