New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Premier malt extract

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #121
Dave R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Frogger the Food Giants in B'ham have it. I deliver to them. There's one in Roebuck and one out in Moody. Also Aporto Madrid. Bessemer and Hueytown. You won't find it in Piggly Wiggly or Winn Dixie. Just the Mom and Pop stores.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #122
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Frogger, sorry no reply--somehow I didn't see the recent activity on this thread. Been brewing some apfelwein lately and following the wine/cider threads I guess. Anyway, I'm quite a bit farther north of you. The Foodland is the one at Priceville, near Decatur. The last exit heading north before the Tennessee River. Get off I-65, take a right, about 1/2 mile on left. Also Dave R, the Piggly Wiggly here carries PME as well--just about 5 miles down the road from the Foodland. I've been driving 30 miles to the LHBS in Huntsville and I'm surrounded by malt!

Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #123
Dave R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good to know about the Pig, jcobbs. I also deliver to the Foodland in Priceville. I'm usually there Friday afternoon about 2 pm. Come on by and we'll compare notes. Just look out back for the big truck at the dock.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #124
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Cool, Dave, I'll try to do that sometime. Hoping to try an extract version of "Brandon O's Graff" with PME sometime soon. If it tastes as good as I hope I'll be stopping by the Foodland or the Piggly Wiggly regularly!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #125
Carrion
Recipes 

I drank several glasses of this the other day. It's starting to mellow out.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #126
derailedgtr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derailedgtr View Post
how about this insanity that is now bubbling madly away in my 6.5 gal carboy?
5 gal premier arrogant bastard clone:
4 cans of premier hopped light extract
1 lb 120l crystal malt
8 oz light brown sugar
1 oz chinook pellets @ 15 min
1 oz chinook pellets @ 1 min
1 packet safale s-04
bring 1 gal water to 160f, add crystal malt, let sit for 1 hr
pour through strainer into boil pot (mine is currently 4 gal)
gently rinse grains w 1 gal 180f water.
add premier extract, brown sugar, and water to a safe boiling level
boil 20 min adding hops accordingly
chill to 80-90f. i use an ice water in sink method.
transfer to carboy and fill to 5 gal w fridge temp water (i use bottled drinking water).
seal the carboy, wait a few hours for it to cool some more and pitch the yeast, install airlock.
this stuff is screaming along and the smells coming from the airlock are awesome!
I kegged this stuff last night after about 3 weeks in the carboy. it is insanely bitter, but I was expecting that after the other batches of premier based beers were also initially too bitter to drink. The others mellowed to drinkable in 2 to 3 weeks, so I am excited to taste what I have. Considering the overwhelming amount of hop extract, I might need to give it a month. I will report back then with a comparison between my brew and arrogant bastard.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #127
derailedgtr
Recipes 

i poured about one half of a pint last night and WOW! is this stuff great! The bitterness I have experienced with previous batches of premier was not there or it was covered up by the sweetness from the 120L crystal and the spiciness of the Chinook hops. whatever the case, i did not have an arrogant bastard to compare it with directly but it tastes pretty spot-on to me. I will get an arrogant bastard to compare it with asap and post a follow-up

Old 09-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #128
revbish
Recipes 

Default Premier Recipe

Charlie Papazian's Joy of Home Brewing has a recipe called Wise Ass Red Bitter using this very same light hopped Premier malt extract. I've made it several times and it's still one of my favorite easy drinking beers. And it has a beautiful coppery-red color. I've been brewing for 17 years and this book is absolutely the best there is. I still refer to it constantly, and if you follow his simple, clear advice and tips, you can't help but make great beer. This book is worth its weight in gold, and the best money you'll ever spend on brewing. His other book, the Homebrewer's Companion, is really good, too, and has a lot more info on all grain brewing.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #129
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just came back from a trip and headed out to the "brewery/winery" (workshop) to check my PME extract Graff. Bubbling happily and smells awesome! I had just about given up on brewing beer in favor of apfelwein & Graff, but if this PME Graff ends up as good as it's starting out, I think I'm going to give a batch of beer a whirl. The price is certainly right--the same store that has the PME has spring water for $1.20 a gallon, in nice tall jugs that make perfectly fine one-use carboys. Do a one-gallon boil, mix it all in my 5-gallon bottling bucket, pitch the yeast, and pour it back into the the jugs to ferment. Including the extra sugar, a one-can 5 gallon batch will run about $14. If you get 50 bottles in a batch, (allowing for racking and sampling) that's about 28 cents a bottle! I realize that the object of homebrewing is to make good beer, not cheap beer, but if you can make a decent, drinkable "lawnmower" beer for just over a quarter a bottle, why not brew a batch? Or several?

Old 09-04-2009, 03:00 AM   #130
derailedgtr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcobbs View Post
Just came back from a trip and headed out to the "brewery/winery" (workshop) to check my PME extract Graff. Bubbling happily and smells awesome! I had just about given up on brewing beer in favor of apfelwein & Graff, but if this PME Graff ends up as good as it's starting out, I think I'm going to give a batch of beer a whirl. The price is certainly right--the same store that has the PME has spring water for $1.20 a gallon, in nice tall jugs that make perfectly fine one-use carboys. Do a one-gallon boil, mix it all in my 5-gallon bottling bucket, pitch the yeast, and pour it back into the the jugs to ferment. Including the extra sugar, a one-can 5 gallon batch will run about $14. If you get 50 bottles in a batch, (allowing for racking and sampling) that's about 28 cents a bottle! I realize that the object of homebrewing is to make good beer, not cheap beer, but if you can make a decent, drinkable "lawnmower" beer for just over a quarter a bottle, why not brew a batch? Or several?

I have tried stretching one can of PME plus sugars out to 5 gals and didn't like it at all. i suggest using at least 2 cans of PME and a corn syrup/honey combo like golden eagle or alaga yellow label. your mileage may vary though...

... i forgot to mention that my buddies and i drank it anyway.

Quick Reply