Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Premier malt extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #111
Carrion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My batch came out really bad. I'm thinking of pouring it out. It's in my keezer right now. Should I pull it out and let it age a while? I used bottled water. It is just so bitter. I even added a teaspoon of corn suger to a glass. Maybe the malt was way too old and it's light brown as most extract brews I've done. I followed the instructions. I used 1 can of malt and 2.5 lbs of corn sugar with the supplied Nottingham yeast. It was in primary 4 weeks room temperature, 1 week at 34 to clear and kegged. Disappointed.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #112
derailedgtr
Recipes 

give it a month or so and see what happens. I made a 3.3(ish) gal batch of 2 cans of Premier and 1oz Mt Hood boiled for 5 min using wal-mart 'drinking' water and S-04 yeast. 2 weeks in the carboy, 2 weeks in the keg @ room temp, then gas and chill in the fridge. It took another month in the fridge before the overwhelming bitterness mellowed. It was darker/redder than the irish red ale kit I had brewed right before it. Wound up being a very tasty brew with a roasted malt flavor and a crisp/dry finish more like a lager than an ale.

how did you know the yeast was Notty? The only yeast packs I've seen with mine were generic silver foil pouches labeled 'beer yeast'.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #113
Carrion
Recipes 

OK I'll let it sit. It was a Notty yeast pack. The same pack you buy in the store.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #114
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I searched this thread before posting but didn't see anything related, so here goes: has anybody tried making a version of Brandon O's Graff with PME? I recently found the little Foodland grocery right down the road has been carrying this stuff all along, and I've been driving past it to go to my LHBS. So I'm thinking of trying something along the lines of boiling a can of PME in a gallon of water, and adding it to 4 gals of apple juice in a carboy. Thoughts/suggestions? Should I add any sugar/DME?

Old 07-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #115
Eitek1
Recipes 

I just made a batch (my first) using the can and 2 lbs of turbinado sugar from maui. It is a beautiful red color and is really tasty for a flat beer. All my friends tried it and they thought it was great. I made a 4.5 gallon batch and it is now carbonating in the bottle. I can't wait till it's done.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #116
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm really anxious to try it. I'm in that store all the time and I can't believe I've never noticed it on the shelf before. They have a bunch of cans so hopefully it's not a short-term thing. Right now I'm trying to wait for cooler weather because I really don't have a good way to keep a 5-gallon carboy cool. I suppose I could make up a batch and divide it out into gallon jugs to ferment, but that's just more handling and more chance for infection. But if the itch gets too strong I may risk it. The PME is $5 a can and Wal-Mart apple juice is $1.97 a gallon, so it's not like I'm betting the farm on a batch of homebrew. Just wondered if anybody else had tried using it for a Graff before.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #117
Frogger
Recipes 

JCobbs,
Where is the Foodland you speak of? I've been driving to Cullman, AL to the Warehouse Discount Grocery to get Premier.
By the way, with regard to outcome, I've made one batch using only 1 can of Premier (with no extra sugar) and some washed Notty yeast in a 8.5 qt. Mr. Beer fermenter. It came out pretty good. A light lawnmower beer, but the price was definitely right. My next batch was using a recipe from this thread, including 1 can Premier plus 1 large jar of Golden Eagle syrup in a 5 gal batch. This was WAY too weak (O.G. ~1.028), ABV ~2.1%. Though weak, I think just more of the same ingredients will give a tasty result. I'll post when I do that experiment.
Cheers!

Old 07-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #118
Frogger
Recipes 

Hi everyone, this is my 1st post. I'm fairly new to the hobby, with only about 10 batches of extract (with our without steeped grains).
This is a great site with lots of incredibly helpful people!

I've made 2 batches with Premier. First was just 1 can premier with Nottingham yeast in a 8.5 qt. fermenter. Taste was pretty light, but not a bad lawnmower beverage with about 3.9% ABV. The second batch I made, I used a recipe found in this thread, which was 1 can premier + 1 large jar of Golden Eagle Syrup, also with Nottingham yeast in 5 gal. This was very weak (ABV 2.1%), but I think if I double or triple the ingredients, it may be a reasonably tasty drink. That will be my next experiment and should conform to the rule of thumb I've heard suggesting 5-7.5 pounds of malt extract per 5- gal batch.
JCobbs, where is the Foodland you mentioned? I've been driving to the Warehouse Discount Grocery in Cullman to get the Premier and would really like to find it closer to home.

Cheers!
Frogger

Old 08-03-2009, 03:28 AM   #119
derailedgtr
Recipes 

how about this insanity that is now bubbling madly away in my 6.5 gal carboy?
5 gal premier arrogant bastard clone:
4 cans of premier hopped light extract
1 lb 120l crystal malt
8 oz light brown sugar
1 oz chinook pellets @ 15 min
1 oz chinook pellets @ 1 min
1 packet safale s-04
bring 1 gal water to 160f, add crystal malt, let sit for 1 hr
pour through strainer into boil pot (mine is currently 4 gal)
gently rinse grains w 1 gal 180f water.
add premier extract, brown sugar, and water to a safe boiling level
boil 20 min adding hops accordingly
chill to 80-90f. i use an ice water in sink method.
transfer to carboy and fill to 5 gal w fridge temp water (i use bottled drinking water).
seal the carboy, wait a few hours for it to cool some more and pitch the yeast, install airlock.
this stuff is screaming along and the smells coming from the airlock are awesome!

Last edited by derailedgtr; 08-03-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #120
captianoats
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

You HAVE to keep us in the loop on that crazy beer. I have to know how this one comes out. Kudos for giving it a try, no matter how it comes out.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" --George Carlin

Quick Reply