Premier malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old family recipe from my grand parents from the late 1800's that is very close to this recipe, It used 3 pound of Blue Ribbon malt extract and 3 pounds of table sugar in six gallons of water and bread yeast. It was bottled when the fermentation was almost finished (two bubbles rising per minute in a water glass of wort) Bottle and store in a cool cellar for two weeks. covering the bottles with a horse blanket was suggested. (flak vest?) I have made this beer it did not taste like modern American filtered, carbonated rain barrel water.

I have used Premier LME in a pepper beer I make and it always comes out pretty good, but I do add a lb of dme also. One thing about it, the price is right!

I bought a case of it last year from a grocery wholesaler in northern Arkansas. used it a few times as a kicker to my other beers and once alone with specialty grains..it had a mild cider flavor ofcourse i dry hopped it too and added extra hops in the boil..lol not bad easy to drink for me

I live in northwest arkansas. Where did you find this malt?

Is this stuff completely off shelves by now? Or is there any hope of finding old cans still? It's really a shame, I'd love to try making a batch with the 'original' (atleast I'm assuming the recipe for the 'light hopped' flavor didn't really change over the years). Anyone stockpile cans and have extras they'd part with? Or is there another available brand that is comparable flavor/hop-wise?

Similar story as others - my grandpa used to brew out in his barn using a woodburning stove and an 8 gallon crock (which I found and now keep as a memento). Covered with a cloth and poured into bottles with a dipper. Don't have a recipe, but I'm sure it's similar to what others have described. I believe he was doing this around the 1940s - 60s. Lots of stories of people not being able to walk straight after drinking it ;)

Random question - what was the size of a yeast cake in that timeframe? Most of the Fleischmann's yeast cakes I see in photos were 0.6 oz. The recipes all seem to just call for 1 cake without mentioning the size.

Is this stuff completely off shelves by now? Or is there any hope of finding old cans still? It's really a shame, I'd love to try making a batch with the 'original' (atleast I'm assuming the recipe for the 'light hopped' flavor didn't really change over the years). Anyone stockpile cans and have extras they'd part with? Or is there another available brand that is comparable flavor/hop-wise?

Similar story as others - my grandpa used to brew out in his barn using a woodburning stove and an 8 gallon crock (which I found and now keep as a memento). Covered with a cloth and poured into bottles with a dipper. Don't have a recipe, but I'm sure it's similar to what others have described. I believe he was doing this around the 1940s - 60s. Lots of stories of people not being able to walk straight after drinking it ;)

Random question - what was the size of a yeast cake in that timeframe? Most of the Fleischmann's yeast cakes I see in photos were 0.6 oz. The recipes all seem to just call for 1 cake without mentioning the size.

The company is still in business on Groesbeck Ave. in Warren, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit, I no longer live in the area, but drove by it last week.

Premier Malt Products Website

Under brewing, and "canned malt extract" they list these products
Natural Hopped Flavor - Light (1kg) Code #70261-00002
Natural Hopped Flavor - Dark (1kg) Code #70261-00003
Natural Hopped Flavor - Pale Dry (1kg) Code #70261-00006
Natural Hopped Flavor - Extra Pale (1kg) Code #70261-00001
Natural Hopped Flavor - Plain (1kg) Code #70261-00004

It might be interesting to contact them and see if they sell to homebrewshops still, or see if you can order from them some of their stuff

I sent an email just to make sure, but I thought others had already confirmed it was out of production. Has anyone found another extract that's comparable? Unfortunately some of the others like Muntons hopped light are around $25 a can.

Has anyone tried to actually ferment in an original crock? I'm not sure what exactly these were made of, but I have a feeling it's probably not considered safe nowadays (esp. if it has chips or cracks).

Also still curious about the yeast cake question above, in case anyone has info

I bottled it, and let it sit for several days now. After cooling the beer, it cleared up nicely. The taste has greatly improved! I have to admit, it is better than most commercial beers on the market, however, it is very filling. It also has a little more potency than I like in a brew. Can't handle too many of these in one sitting! A very nice dark amber color and has hints of apples and spice in smell. The taste is smooth and crisp with a nice finish. After getting off of work (about an hour ago), I poured a glass and went out to the garden for my morning inspection. Talk about an enjoyable experience!!! A nice, cool morning with dew still on the grass, my first attempt at making beer in hand, sun shining through the brew....what a way to end a long night shift. I'm hooked!

Yu can add water and lower your initial gravity (water it down a little).

If you do try to recreate an old recipe, be aware that the old cans of Blue Ribbon or Premier malt were 3 pound cans (and farther back they might have been 3.3) not 2.2 lbs.

Back