Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > possible bad yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
ssazreal560
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default possible bad yeast

So about four days ago i started a milk stout (brewers best kit). Everything went great until i realized today that my airlock had not started bubbling! It came with some notty and i hydrated it just like the directions said and then pitched it at around 70-74. I also put some yeast nutrient in...

I had some s-04 i had washed and saved as an experiment and in a panic warmed it and threw it in without a starter! I know its not what you are supposed to do but I was worried about possible infections if i didn't get something going.

My question is has anyone else pitched washed yeast without a starter, and how did it work for ya? Also have your kits came with bad yeast before?

thanks all

A guy at work asks what I am doing over the weekend. "Not much." I say, "Might brew some beer." "Wow!" Says the guy, "You ever get caught?" - sendkyleanemail

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
rajun50
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What is the the temp on the fermenter (or ambient temp)? Airlocks aren't the best indicator of fermentation, as your fermenter could have a leak in the lid or cap that allows the CO2 to escape. Do you have a hydrometer? If so, you should take a sample and get a gravity reading. That will tell you what is going on.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Pop the lid as gently as possible and take a quick look. If you have krausen close it back up and wait a few weeks before doing anything else.

With Nottingham try to keep it at or a little under 65.

bosco

Old 12-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

What's the current gravity? Nothing else matters, and nothing else (especially airlock bubbling, or lack or it) tells you what's going on.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
ssazreal560
Recipes 

well the gravity was 1050 yesterday. I just got a new lid for my fermentor I knew it didnt leak and when i opened it up to take a peek there was no krausen and it smelled like toasty malt syrup and that was after four days.

This morning (after putting the washed yeast in last night) I woke up to a blown out airlock so i guess it worked

A guy at work asks what I am doing over the weekend. "Not much." I say, "Might brew some beer." "Wow!" Says the guy, "You ever get caught?" - sendkyleanemail

Old 12-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Washed yeast can take a little longer to get going (depending on how old it is of course).

Quick Reply