Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pliny the Elder extract kit help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
brewingmadness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Anyone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
sub1427
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmadness View Post
I have a couple more questions. When I feel ready I will post the tweaked instructions and see what you guys think. I appreciate the help on making my attempting to make my first brew amazing.
1) Since I am doing a full boil, should I still steep the grains in 2 and a half to 3 gallons of water. I remember reading that you should boil 2 quarts of water per lb of grains and have have about 2 lbs, which would mean a 1 gallon boil by that.
2) This kit came with irish moss, but I've read here that whirlflock tabs are better. Should I get some? I don't care about spending some more, I'd rather have a better beer. Thoughts?
3) Should I just throw the hops in the wort? I've seen a few vids where people use hop bags, but since I have 3 hops and the dry hops, would I add the hops in the bag throughout the boil and leave the same hops in the bag?

1) 2-3 gallons is fine for your steep, I personally just steep in the full boil amount and some people say thats bad because the pH is off yada yada, I find it still makes yummy beer.
2) Irish moss is fine, whirflock tabs seem to give me the same results so maybe someone else can chime in. Either way use what you got. It will produce a nice clear beer.
3)Just toss the hops in, let them roll around in the boil and if you can go pick up a stainless steel fine mess strainer... I found mine on amazon for like 8 beans, just remember to drop it in the boiling wort with 15 minutes left in the boil to sanitize it, same goes for your wort chiller. Then when you get it down to temp ~70 pour the wort through the strainer into your bucket, this will catch a lot of the trub/hop matter, and also do a good job on aerating it so your yeasties can get to work....

If you think you messed anything up, just send it over to me and i'll "Dispose" of it

My Pliny clone is in the secondary now, sure tastes like a mouthful of hops.

Enjoy.

Next up: Nut Brown, Red Ale
Primary:
Secondary: Jason Breatts Honey Stout
Kegging:
On Tap: Hoegaarden Belgian White, Olde English clone

Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
brewingmadness
Recipes 

Thank you, just ordered a strainer that should work well

Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
sub1427
Recipes 

something like this works just fine...

http://www.amazon.com/Adcraft-DBTN-10-Double-Strainer-Hardwood/dp/B004NG9E1I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337114611&sr=8-2

I just make sure to break the wood out of the middle since you don't want that boiling away in your beer...

Primary:
Kegging:

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
brewingmadness
Recipes 

I got this one. http://www.amazon.com/HIC-Brands-that-Cook-Essentials/dp/B00428M7HK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337115016&sr=8-4

Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
brewingmadness
Recipes 

I figure I'd just be setting it in a funnel on top of the carboy, so size isn't as big a deal, and that one was all stainless and a decent price, so I went for it

Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
sub1427
Recipes 

that'll do pig. that'll do.

Primary:
Kegging:

Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
sub1427
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmadness View Post
I figure I'd just be setting it in a funnel on top of the carboy, so size isn't as big a deal, and that one was all stainless and a decent price, so I went for it
you have a blow off tube setup ready right? my pliny went crazy and if i didn't have it in a big bucket i would have been cleaning up a huge mess...

Primary:
Kegging:

Old 05-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
brewingmadness
Recipes 

Sure do. Got about everything I need for 1 brew. I need some carboys and kegs to make more beer to fill the 15 cf freezer I just got. Eventually going to make it into a keezer. I promised the wife a wheat beer next, but I have a light ale kit that came with the starter kit that I want to make for guests. 15 cf was probably overkill, but at 90 bucks on cl, I jumped. I don't see myself ever having more than 3 beers on tap

Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #20
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hey Madness!
Sounds awesome, and I'm envious because I've never had the opportunity to taste a Pliny. Sad I know.

My suggestions would be to add the extract later. It helps to avoid a cooked extract tase (which I've never experienced, but I hear it's not desirable) and you'll maintain the desired color.

I prefer a par boil myself, but if you have the ability to do a full boil, go for it! No wort chiller here, and my kettle isn't nearly big enough, so that's just my personal limitations.

The yeast they provide should be fine.

As for fermentation, I always suggest racking to secondary for at least a week after. For something like Pliny that you dry hop, I hear a longer time in primary, followed by an extended stay in secondary is wonderful. (I would never bottle anything in a week either, they must be drunk )

Let us know how it turns out!

My spoon is TOO big.

Quick Reply