Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Please help with my first recipe - An Extract IPA using Nugget and Simcoe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
NCPAdennis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Please help with my first recipe - An Extract IPA using Nugget and Simcoe

This is my first time trying to create a recipe - I am using Brewtarget. I am going for a hoppy IPA from extract that is not overly bitter.

7.5 lb Light LME
2 lb Vienna Steeped
1 lb Munich Steeped

1.1 oz Nugget (13%AA) 60 min
.75 oz Simcoe (12.2%) 15 min
.75 oz Simcoe (12.2%) 5 min
.5 oz Simcoe (12.2%) 0 min

Yeast: Salfale S-05

Do you think I should also Dry Hop?

I hope to brew this on Sunday so your commments are welcome.
Thanks!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 378

I think you should always dry hop. If you're worried about it being too bitter you could reduce your 60 min addition. You could probably up the late additions (15-0) if you want more flavor and aroma as well.

I tend to make my bittering addition fairly small and load up with 5 or 6oz of late additions.

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
pastormike
Recipes 

I'm curious about the 2 lbs of Vienna and 1 lb of Munich. That's the beauty of beer: each recipe is different. Since this is your first batch, I'll offer a couple of meager tips about dry-hopping:
1) Dry-hopping is only adding aroma; you won't get any additional bitterness or flavor from them.
2) I always wait until after fermentation to dry-hop. The yeast is going burp and fart like crazy during the first few days of fermentation, and you will lose a lot of the aroma if you dry-hop right away. This also pushes a layer of foam up (krausen), which leaves a ring of hop debris and other junk along the top of your fermenter. If you dry-hop, this the krausen will cause a lot of your hops to stick to that ring, again, defeating the purpose.

Happy brewing!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
certaut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just brew it, keep notes.
if it's good,, do it again,,
if it's good,, give me the recipe
If it's "not so good" change one thing and do it again