Pitch stout on Dead Guy cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killian_77

Reaction score
Just got the ingredients for my next two batches. The first is going to be Yoopers Dead Guy clone with Safale 05. I was also planning on using that yeast for a stout. Should I just pitch the stout on the dead guy cake when I move to secondary? I figured the stout would overpower any flavors leftover from the first beer.

I don't know for sure, but I'd think differing styles may end up flavored by the remaining beer on the cake. But that's just a guess, hopefully someone that knows will chime in and confirm or deny.

I would say don't do it for two reasons. First, the styles are very different (as mentioned above) and the hoppy flavor from the Dead Guy will probably be assertive enough to impart some flavor in a stout. Second, it is dry yeast, which means it is cheap and doesn't need a starter. It seems to me that the biggest reason to pitch onto a yeast cake would be to save money and/or time, and you wouldn't be doing much of either one.

Back