Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pitch stout on Dead Guy cake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Killian_77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitch stout on Dead Guy cake?

Just got the ingredients for my next two batches. The first is going to be Yoopers Dead Guy clone with Safale 05. I was also planning on using that yeast for a stout. Should I just pitch the stout on the dead guy cake when I move to secondary? I figured the stout would overpower any flavors leftover from the first beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know for sure, but I'd think differing styles may end up flavored by the remaining beer on the cake. But that's just a guess, hopefully someone that knows will chime in and confirm or deny.

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You could always just pitch a small portion of the slurry. Check the Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator for the right amount (use pitching from slurry).

Primary:A simple Bock, Vienna

Bottled: Centennial Blonde, Mostly Dead Guy Ale, Pale Rye Ale

On Deck: waiting...

Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
DuckAssassin
Recipes 

I would say don't do it for two reasons. First, the styles are very different (as mentioned above) and the hoppy flavor from the Dead Guy will probably be assertive enough to impart some flavor in a stout. Second, it is dry yeast, which means it is cheap and doesn't need a starter. It seems to me that the biggest reason to pitch onto a yeast cake would be to save money and/or time, and you wouldn't be doing much of either one.

Quick Reply