Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pineapple pilsner flavor. Fermintation Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Scorching Sugar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pineapple pilsner flavor. Fermintation Question

Here's the story: I used a White labs pilsner yeast and pitched at 70. After fermy started I put the carboy in the fridge and let sit for 2 weeks at 50 - 55. I then gave the carboy a swirl or two and brought the temp up to 70 for about 36 hours. Fermentation started again and a new krausen developed. As it had been over two weeks I racked to a secondary and then lowered the temp to 38 to lager. The beer tasted like pineapple and the hydrometer read around 1.02. After about a week in the secondary at 38 I brought the temp back up to 50 and a new krausen has started. Can anybody explain what is going on? Will it lose that pineapple flavor? How long do I let it sit again at 50? Seems like primary ferm never completed. Will beer still be ok?

Drink much?...Why, no...spill most of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I've had ferments restart after a period. I have a Brown Porter that fermented to 1.020 in 36 hours, sat for almost a week, then started fermenting again and is still going 10 days later.

The pineapple should fade.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 982 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'd recommend not pitching so warm next time. Try getting it down to fermentation temps before or at least immediately after pitching. That's where the fruit flavor is coming from.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
kskiles
Recipes 

Brewing a pilsner right now myself.

It has been my experience that tasting a pilsner mid brew is no real indication as to what it will taste like finished.

Usually there is a lot of sulphur taste even when fermentation is done. I have bottled 2 batches but intend to put this batch in a keg (new kegerator on site). It usually takes 5-6 weeks for it to condition in the bottle. I have heard some discussion that storing it in the fridge (as opposed to room temp) will speed that process up, can't vouch for the validity of that statement though.

The longer it sits in the bottle, the less sulphur odor/taste, the better the beer. I think the general rule of thumb for lagers is that they are slow and take way more time than recipe time-frames suggest.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bobby has it right. Warm temps when you pitch your yeast will result in a fruity lager. How much of that flavor you get, depends on how long it is at the warm temperture on the start of respiration and fermentation.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd not sweat it.

Firerock pale ale of Kona Brewing Company has a residual hint of pineapple due to fermentation caused fruity esters... it's pretty decent for a pale ale

Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Quick Reply