Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Peoples opinions on Coopers Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
RagingMammoth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Peoples opinions on Coopers Beer?

I'm thinking about splashing out on their lager kit. Any opinions? It's either that or a Geordie kit? I think it's Geordie.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingMammoth View Post
I'm thinking about splashing out on their lager kit.
Honestly, I have no idea what you're saying here.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Coopers should give you a perfectly drinkable beer. It will be better if you replace the sugar addition with dry malt extract and try to control your temperatures. Some people swap out the yeast and doctor them up further to improve them, but they are certainly drinkable if done right.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
I believe he's thinking of buying one.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

RagingMammoth Likes This 
Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
RagingMammoth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
I was joking.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
RagingMammoth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Coopers should give you a perfectly drinkable beer. It will be better if you replace the sugar addition with dry malt extract and try to control your temperatures. Some people swap out the yeast and doctor them up further to improve them, but they are certainly drinkable if done right.
Thanks for the advice, really appreciated. It's currently half price at my local wilkos, so ill definitely give it a go. What commercial beer is it comparable to?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingMammoth View Post
Thanks for the advice, really appreciated. It's currently half price at my local wilkos, so ill definitely give it a go. What commercial beer is it comparable to?
Hard to say, I've never done one of their lager kits. I only do a couple of their kits these days and they're heavily modified. They're my quick brew with decent result brew days when I'm needing to fill some kegs and don't have a lot of time.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1504

The Cooper's OS (Original Series) Lager comes with their ale yeast,so it's actually a light pale ale. Try using some plain extra light DME (about 3lbs),along with an ounce of east kent golding for a tasty light colored ale with good body 5.3% or so. The east kent golding tastes like herbs & lemon grass to me. Classic in a british pale ale.
Use half the 3lb bag of DME in a partial boil of 2.5-3 gallons. Do the Flavor hop addition at 15-20 minutes. The remove from heat & stir in remaining DME & the Cooper's can (pre-hopped LME) & stir till completely dissolved.
Chill brew kettle down to 75 or so,then take chilled gallons of water outta the fridge & use for top off. Get the wort down to 64F or so. Any lower,& Cooper's ale yeast is sluggish & stalls.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
funkyskier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a Coopers Pale Ale in my cooler right now. Ive done a Coopers Australian Draft in the past and it turned out alright. This time I used a Wyeast American Lager yeast and its been in primary for a few weeks at 52 degrees. I also used 3.3lbs of Extra Light DME and got an OG of 1.046. My kids like to drink my Belgians, so Im gonna keep this around to keep them out of it! The Coopers kits are not bad, but I would agree with what others are saying about the yeast. Either replace it or get a starter going with the dry yeast as its hard to get going otherwise.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1504

I never had too much trouble with their yeast. It's best rehydrated,particularly the little 7g packet. Midwest & NB carry the Cooper's ale yeast in the larger 15g packet. I def like that one when fruity esters are part of the style,like English ales. It's best betwen 64-68F in my observations. It's also a high flocculation yeast,so it'll make clear beer. WL029 & US-05 are also very good options,imho.

Quick Reply