Pellet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
I have a Irish Red Ale extract kit that I've had in storage for about a year. It contains pellet hops. What is the shelf-life of pellet hops?

Shelf life for any hop style (leaf, pellet, plug) depends on the type of storage and packaging. Nitrogen-flushed or vacuum-sealed packaging is your best option, and ideally they would be frozen. If they were stored at room temp they will have lost some of their bittering potential, and they can even get kind of cheese-y smelling if stored incorrectly for a long time.

If it were me, I'd buy new hops since it's probably only a few dollars worth. That assumes you know what kind they are. I'd guess they were Kent Goldings.

If your kit contained liquid malt extract, it can degrade over time as well, getting darker and maybe picking up some oxidized flavors. I've read that it's best to try to use fresh liquid extract whenever possible.

You could also just go ahead and make it and enjoy it for what it is - it will still be beer, and most likely pretty good beer.

If the hops were frozen you can probably still use them and be okay if they dont have air in them (vaccum sealed preferred of course) but you should probably get some more liquid extract.. I hate to see stuff go to waste so..... why not use the kit, and buy ANOTHER kit and make more? :) You more than likely won't die.

Back