Pecan Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigapinnc

Reaction score
Ok, my whole experience brewing, I have never ever done an extract brew before. Always all grain. But I think it is time to try one because I don't have the time in the day to brew all grain but I still want to brew. I have always wanted to make a pecan porter. Does anyone out there have a pecan porter worth brewing? I want to use real pecans of course

pecans can become bitter. I once soaked some in Bourbon and used them in a recipe and decided not to throw out the bourbon but to drink it and it was so bitter as to be undrinkable. Hilly

Just finished the keg of this. Was pretty awesome.

7 lbs of Pale Malt Liquid Extract
2 lbs of Light DME

1# Crystal 40L
.75# Chocolate
.5# Black

1oz Willamette AA 7% 60 min
Irish Moss 50 min
1oz Willamette AA 7% 30 min
1oz Willamette AA 7% 10 min

Yeast: British Ale 1096

OG: 1.066
FG: 1.026

I did that in the primary for a week and then transferred it to the secondary with 1.5 pounds of pecans. Make sure you do a super rough chop on the pecans and roast them at 350 degrees for 15 minutes in the oven. I racked mine for two weeks and then force carbed it. Once you are done, you can use those pecans to make bread or muffins or whatever you think would go awesome with them. The beer had a pretty distinct pecan flavor, so if you want a less powerful pecan taste, one pound should be fine but I wouldn't do any less than that.

Bootstrapbill,

I am assuming that is black patent? Thanks for the recipe! It sounds pretty awesome. I am going to give it a shot

I made the Austin Homebrew kit and I was surprised that it came with oak chips for the secondary. The pecan flavor comes from extract that is added with the priming sugar at bottling. I did the recipe exactly as directed and I was disappointed that the oak flavor overpowered the pecan.

I know one guy who brewed it and placed in a competition. He soaked the chips in whiskey before adding them to secondary. He also entered the beer a year after brewing.

If I was to do the kit again, I'd either use only half the chips and soak them in bourbon or not use them at all.

Best bet with Pecans is to roast them a few times (getting darker each time), and between roast stick them in a paper bag to soak up the oils off of them

I made up a batch of this a few weeks ago with some pecans out of my neighbor's tree. It's been in bottles for two weeks now and it is fantastic. There's no way this is going to last until my next batch is ready. It's dark, chocolaty, and amazingly roasty. Definitely a keeper recipe. Thanks!

Back