Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Peated, Smoked Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
steeldrummerj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Peated, Smoked Ale

9 lbsLight LME
.5 lbsCrystal Malt 40L; Briess
1 lbs Peat Smoked Malt
3.25 lbs Cherrywood Smoked

1.25 ozFuggle (Whole, 4.75 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 ozFuggle (Whole, 4.75 %AA) boiled 30 min.
1 ozCascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 15 min.

I'm going to use some sort of belgian yeast, something that won't be a huge flavor, but add a little complexity. This beer is for a friend of mine who loves EXTREMELY smokey scotch. He likes craft beer, but stays away from IPA's, so I'm going for something a that'll focus more on the malt flavors. Any feedback? Advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

I'll tell you one thing. I just bottled a dark lager yesterday that I'd brewed with .5lb rauchmalt among other things. Little of the flavor is left after fermentation. So you def need at least 3-4 pounds to get some of the smoky flavor in there.
Reduce the bittering addition to 1oz,increase the 30 minute to 1oz & move it to 20 minutes if you want more of that earthy/herby flavor. Leave it at 30 minutes if you want more bittering than flavor from it.
Also,smoked malts must be mashed,but have little diastatic power of their own. Some base malt with a lot of diastatic power would help with the Weyermann's anyway.
Midwest says the peated malt's smoke is stronger than weyermann's rauchmalt that I used. Dosen't give any numbers for it's diastatic power though. But the diastatic power of the Breisse cherrywood smoked is 140. So on second look,the Breisse smoked malt should be able to convert all in a partial mash.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
steeldrummerj
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Can you explain that last part to me?

Bottled:Cream of Three Crops, Tim's Hoppedscotch Ale, Brown Sugar Apfelwein, Exploding Grapefruit IIPA, Nemo's Irish Red, Snowed-In Stout, Sunday Brunch Stout (Pretty sure it's infected....)

Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
wbyrd01
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

If you've never used peat smoked malt before I would do a little research on it. One pound is a lot. I know you said your friend likes extremely smokey scotch but that malt is powerful stuff. The last beer I used it in only called for 1.5oz in a 5gal batch. And when I was buying the grains the guy at my LHBS even commented on how little is needed to get that smokey flavor.

Let us know how this one turns out!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

That's a little weird. I know midwest says the peated malt is stronger than the rauchmalt,but I didn't think it was that strong. I used 1/2lb of wyermann's smoked malt (rauchmalt) in a dark lager,& so far can't taste the smoke. The wort at the beginning had a rasted /grilled pork sort of flavor to it. Now that I bottled it yesterday,nada. Need a couple pounds of that beachwood smoked weyermann's.
Since The weyermann's smoked malt has a diastatic power of 48,it needs to be mashed with some base malt like 2-row with a high diastatic power to convert the starches to sugars. The Breisse cherrywood smoked has a diastatic of 140,& will convert itself.
Diastatic power is the ability to have enough enzymes to convert the starches to sugars expressed as a number.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
steeldrummerj
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

So if I'm using 3+ lbs. of the breiss cherrywood, that should be enough to convert the starches in the 1 lb. of peated malt, right? or should I throw some two row in there just for good measure?

I'll definitely keep this updated in the coming months. It's not going to be a beer that everyone likes, but then again, what is? It's going to be in your face and everyone will have a sure opinion of it.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

The Breisse smoked malt should have enough power to convert it all in the amounts you're using.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd add some 2-row if you can handle it.

I'm assuming the smoked malt is relatively fresh. The smokiness fades as the malt ages.

I used 3 lbs of cherry Smoked malt in a smoked Porter, and it turned out excellent.

I used a quarter of a pound (that is 0.25 lbs) of Peat Smoked Malt in a Stone Smoked Porter clone and nailed it.

Maybe 1 lb of Peat smoked malt is what you are looking for, but be cautioned, you could be making an undrinkable beer. Do some research.

You might want to use an English yeast instead of the Belgian one. Depends on how much flavor you want from the yeast.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
steeldrummerj
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I'll throw some two row in there just for good measure. The peated malt is from a different source, my usual store doesn't have it, so it'll be packaged separately. I'll taste it before adding and see how strong it is. I think that's going to be a brew day decision.

Bottled:Cream of Three Crops, Tim's Hoppedscotch Ale, Brown Sugar Apfelwein, Exploding Grapefruit IIPA, Nemo's Irish Red, Snowed-In Stout, Sunday Brunch Stout (Pretty sure it's infected....)

Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Try making a cup of tea with a teaspoon of of the peated stuff and see how potent it is. Let it steep in a coffee mug of of 150* water for a half hour, covered.

also, I'm not sure of I'd try the Cascade with this. The northwest citrusy stuff seems like it wouldn't complement the smoke and peat flavors well. I'd personally go with a German or English hop. Hallertau maybe?

Quick Reply