Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Palmer's Lady Liberty Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
BlackBearForge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrewBeer View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'd be interested on how your batches turn out especially with whatever modifications. This is such a great recipe I can't believe I overlooked it for so long.

BlackBearForge let me know what you think of the DME ratios. I'm going to try a DME version next.

Prost!
Well the final gravity pretty much came in right on target for the style (around 1.012) so it must have been close. The sample I had at bottling seemed really good but I'm not sure I would have noticed if I had just used all of both 3lb bags of light DME. The sample was a bit sweet from the priming sugar so we'll find out in a few weeks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
pernox, would a program like beersmith scale the other recipe ingredients based on increasing the LME? I'm totally unfamiliar with the software....
I'm sorry that I never replied to this - I just saw the thread turn active again yesterday!

It looks like you nailed it though.

For future reference, I like HopVille; it's free, and not as intricate as BS.

http://hopville.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcc View Post
i'll be doing this soon also but i'm thinking adding .5 oz of Cascade in flameout.
That would be tasty. I think I'll be dry hopping my next batch with a little Cascade.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 09-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
iBrewBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=pernox;2305809]I'm sorry that I never replied to this - I just saw the thread turn active again yesterday!

It looks like you nailed it though.

For future reference, I like HopVille; it's free, and not as intricate as BS.

http://hopville.com/

No problem. I grabbed a copy of BeerSmith when it went on sale recently. Nice app but takes a little while to get use too. Finally, figured out how to do the LME to DME conversion.

I'll check out hopville too.

Now where did I lay that bottle opener?........

Old 10-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
BlackBearForge
Recipes 

I had my first taste of this brew last night (bottled on 9/27) and it had carbed up nicely though it had a bit of chill haze since I had only popped the one test bottle in the fridge just the night before. Came out really tasty! Far better than I had hoped for. (A friend and SWMBO thought so too.) This beer won't be long for the world when it is finished bottle conditioning!

For the bittering hop I used .5 oz of 14% Chinook instead of the .5 oz of 11% Northern Brewer the recipe called for and the Chinook-Cascade combination seems to work really well. I also used US-05 also instead of the WLP0001, but I believe that's the same yeast strain. I've got good hopes now for the other recipes from the book I am brewing!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
iBrewBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great! Thanks for the taste review. I'll keep that hop combination in mind for future batches. This Pale Ale has quickly become my favorite so far.

BTW, a friend emailed me a couple days ago and swore the "best" beer he ever made was the John Palmer's "Port O' Palmer" recipe (p. 223).

Cheers!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #16
BlackBearForge
Recipes 

Quote:
Great! Thanks for the taste review. I'll keep that hop combination in mind for future batches. This Pale Ale has quickly become my favorite so far.

BTW, a friend emailed me a couple days ago and swore the "best" beer he ever made was the John Palmer's "Port O' Palmer" recipe (p. 223).

Cheers!
Hey, I'm bottling my batch of Port O' Palmer this weekend!

Old 10-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
iBrewBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBearForge View Post
Hey, I'm bottling my batch of Port O' Palmer this weekend!
Amazing!!! Keep me posted on the tasting.

This is so cool........

Old 10-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #18
BlackBearForge
Recipes 

Quote:
Amazing!!! Keep me posted on the tasting.

This is so cool........
Well didn't get to bottle the porter either of the past two weekends but that's ok.

Well, my first beer, the Lady Liberty PA is now beginning to be ready for drinking and I'm having a few issues with my version. While pretty tasty, I'm getting a strong, very spicey almost peppery taste (perhaps from the yeast?). This is from a 22 oz bomber that conditioned at room temp for two weeks and then sat in the fridge for a week. These bombers may just need twice as much conditioning time before drinking. I have some 12 oz bottles in the fridge now that have been conditioning at room temp for three weeks, we'll see how they are doing when they've been in the fridge at the very least 48 hours. Still, even green, I wouldn't have expected such a spicey note from US-05 (if it is indeed a yeast flavor as I kept the temps in the Cube cooler at an even 65-68 degrees the entire first week of fermentation), I'm curious now about the Chinook I used for bittering as well for the spicey taste.

I may have to brew another batch soon of this same beer only sticking closer Palmer's recipe as a base line for comparison.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
iBrewBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Very interesting BlackBearForge.

I've never used Chinook hops but understand they impart a herbal almost smokey flavor when dry hopped. I tend to confuse "smokey" with "peppery".

The US05 may have played a part. All I know is using a liquid yeast starter has really improved my batches lately. Think my next brew session will focus on tweaking the IBU's. All in all I'm very happy.

Good luck with your next batch.

Prost!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
iBrewBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Big Hit At LBC

Brought some of the Lady Liberty Ale to my local brew club meeting and it got rave reviews. It's a keeper!

The only thing I changed from the original recipe was adding 2- four lb. cans of Alexander's Pale Liquid Extract instead of 3.3 lb cans.

Yummy!

Quick Reply