Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Palmer's Lady Liberty Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
iBrewBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Palmer's Lady Liberty Ale?

I'm thinking about trying Palmer's Lady Liberty APA next batch and have an ingredient question. The recipe calls for two 3.3 lb. cans of pale LME. My LHBS carries Alexander's Pale LME but their cans are 4 lbs each.

So should I follow the recipe and measure out the correct amount or just use the extra 1.4 lbs in the batch?

I guess I could always use something like Munton's Light LME but worry it would alter the taste profile?

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Sky7
Recipes 

Perhaps the better question is - what do you have to lose? That's (IMHO) the beauty of homebrewing. Will it be slightly more alcoholic? I imagine so. But who cares?

Unless you have some vested interest in making it exactly like the book, I'd say just throw the whole thing in, and call it a special limited edition brew

Keg: Restatement Oktoberfest
On Deck: Restatement Standard

Restatement Brewing Co. Weblog!

Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I would increase the hops a little to compensate for the extra malt and maintain the balance of the brew. Having made it this way (AG with extra 2-row and extra hops, but in the original proportions) I can say that it's a pretty tasty brew. Enjoy!

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 08-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
iBrewBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sky7 I agree. The limited edition brew sounds like a fabulous idea! I tried this brew at a recent meeting of my local homebrew club and it was blow-you-away fantastic.

The fellow who brewed it wasn't at the meeting but we emailed back and forth. He couldn't remember the exact LME he used and it's driving me crazy!!

Looking more and more like an improvised batch is in the works........ Onward!

Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
iBrewBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Scaling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernox View Post
I would increase the hops a little to compensate for the extra malt and maintain the balance of the brew. Having made it this way (AG with extra 2-row and extra hops, but in the original proportions) I can say that it's a pretty tasty brew. Enjoy!
pernox, would a program like beersmith scale the other recipe ingredients based on increasing the LME? I'm totally unfamiliar with the software....

Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
iBrewBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default It's a Keeper!!!!!

Had a taste of the Lady Liberty Pale Ale after only two weeks in the bottle and am happy to report it was fantastic. Can't wait to see how it ages.

I followed Palmer's recipe with the only exception I used two 4 lb cans of Alexander's Pale LME instead of the 3.3 lb cans. The result was a little maltier brew and bit more ABV. Oh, I pitched a 1000ml starter of White Labs WLP001 (decanted) and kept in the primary for 14 days before bottling. 1 cup of dextrose for priming.

Cheers!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This is my next brew actually, good to hear positive feedback on it. I went with 3.5 and 3.5 (my LHBS confuses too easy to go less than half pounds, lol) and Safele US-05. Looking forward to the results.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:15 AM   #8
johnmcc
Recipes 

i'll be doing this soon also but i'm thinking adding .5 oz of Cascade in flameout.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
BlackBearForge
Recipes 

Hey I just bottled this beer yesteday, can't wait for two to four weeks to pass in order to try it the way it should be. I had a few swallows of it though yesterday and it was quite tasty.

I used DME which my LHBS sells in 3lb bags, the conversion is about 5.28 lbs of DME for 6.6 lbs of LME so I just took out half a pound of DME which I'll use for bottling or something. I also used Chinook for the bittering hop and it came out really well. I do wish I had dry hopped it with the Cascade but that totally slipped my mind.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
iBrewBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'd be interested on how your batches turn out especially with whatever modifications. This is such a great recipe I can't believe I overlooked it for so long.

BlackBearForge let me know what you think of the DME ratios. I'm going to try a DME version next.

Prost!

Quick Reply