Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pale malt extract and Pacman yeast questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
azingsheim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pale malt extract and Pacman yeast questions

Ok. So I was looking at the 60 minute IPA recipe and the extract version calls for Pale LME. I go through Northern Brewer and they don't have Pale malt they have these:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...s/malt-extract

Whats the closest to Pale malt extract?? This recipe also calls for the Pacman yeast. It's seasonal and not available right now. Whats the next best thing?? Just 1056 or 1272?? THanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by azingsheim View Post
Ok. So I was looking at the 60 minute IPA recipe and the extract version calls for Pale LME. I go through Northern Brewer and they don't have Pale malt they have these:

Whats the closest to Pale malt extract?? This recipe also calls for the Pacman yeast. It's seasonal and not available right now. Whats the next best thing?? Just 1056 or 1272?? THanks
Pacman is never availible, or rather it comes on the market ever few years. I have the amount of 5 pitching worth of pacman I have harvested from Rouge beers.

They do have pale male, from "Alexander's" at the bottom of the page you linked. Pale malt only comes in liquid form

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-25-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4276 Times on 3115 Posts
Likes Given: 822

I'm not a fan of canned LME so I'd get the freshest and lightest they had. The pilsen would be my pick, but the "gold" is a bit cheaper. Either would be ok.

You can use 1056 if you'd like. If you would want a dry yeast, S05 would be a good pick.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azingsheim View Post

Go with the 1056, it's really clean and attenuates well.
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Rye IPA, Watermelon Wheat, Simple Saison
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: HopHands Clone, Raging Bitch Clone, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
artguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pacman is available commercially year-round from certain vendors (e.g. http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/...s/yeast/wyeast), but Wy1056 or S05 are perfectly good subs.

Quick Reply