New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pale Ale - To dry hop or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I just did a double batch of pale. One half was in primary for three weeks, the other went to secondary after two weeks with two onces of Cascades for 11 days (I hope that was long enough?) I just bottled the dry hoped half yesterday. I can't wait to taste and compare the two.

I don't think you can really clone SAPA without dry hoping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I wanted to speak to the idea of changing brew kits. I brewed my first couple kits "as is". But after that I had built a MLT and started doing partial mash brews with kits. Meaning I'd order a scottish 80 plus 3 lbs of Marris Otter to mash with the specialty grains. Sometimes I'd do that plus perform late boil extract additions which means I'd have to modify my hop schedule. Forget about what the kits say do, do your own thing, just be sure to do the research so you know what/why you're doing it. Experimentation makes for a better brewer.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 11-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
flyingyahoo
Recipes 

I learned to do plenty research after I brewed my first beer. Heard and tried to do a late axtract addition but did not realize that the hop schedule would need to be changed. Beer turned out ok but the bittering hops overpowered the aroma hops. Now I know. Going to try doing a late extract addition tomorrow but this time will adjust the hop schedule.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #14
onejdn
Recipes 

Sierra Nevada is definitely dry hopped, If you you don't want to buy another oz of cascade i would rob it from the the finishing hop addition and use it to dry hop

Old 11-22-2008, 03:09 AM   #15
LovetheHops
Recipes 

If available where you are buy some "Hazed and Infused" made by Boulder Beer Co. It is dry hopped and the most delicious beer ever.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:43 AM   #16
flyingyahoo
Recipes 

Brewed the beer today and after advice from friend who has been brewing a lot longer than me I changed the recipe up some. Recipe called for 2 oz. of perle for 60 min and 2 oz. cascade for 5 min. Changed to 1 0z perle and 1 oz casacade for 60 min and 5 min. The I will dry hop with an additional 1 oz. of cascade. Might not be like SNPA but I was more less just shooting for that style. I will let you know how it works.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #17
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Sounds like a good approach. I've found that smaller quantities of multiple hops produce much better results than massive amounts of one. My best IPA to date was the 3CPA: Columbus & chinook for bittering, then a blend of Cascades, Perle and Amarillo for flavor, aroma and dry hopping. Used an ounce of each.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-25-2008, 12:38 AM   #18
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I think your right on with one once. I just tried my first APA with the two onces of cascade dry-hop and I think it's more than SNPA uses.

I'm surprised how much it effects everything--bitterness, flavor and aroma.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #19
secinarot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingyahoo View Post
Brewed the beer today and after advice from friend who has been brewing a lot longer than me I changed the recipe up some. Recipe called for 2 oz. of perle for 60 min and 2 oz. cascade for 5 min. Changed to 1 0z perle and 1 oz casacade for 60 min and 5 min. The I will dry hop with an additional 1 oz. of cascade. Might not be like SNPA but I was more less just shooting for that style. I will let you know how it works.
I brewed the same kit from Midwest and just started drinking it this week. I backed off the Perle to 1 oz based on a recommedation from Midwest (I called them with a question). I did late extract add and used 1 oz of Cascade at 5 mins and the other at flameout. The beer is plenty bitter enough with just the 1 oz of Perle, but the hop aroma is not what I wanted. I think you are wise to dry hop with an additional oz of Cascade. I will do that if I brew this kit again (which I probably will because it's very tasty).

Quick Reply