Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Pale Ale - To dry hop or not

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
flyingyahoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pale Ale - To dry hop or not

I bought a SNPA clone and it came with 2oz. of Perle and 2oz. of Cascade. Directions call for a 60 min. boil on perle w/ a two minute boil on the cascade. I was considering maybe holding 1oz. to 1/2oz. of cascade out of the boil and dry hopping instead. Any ideas if this will be better? If so would you go with 1oz. or 1/2 oz.?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
DuckAssassin
Recipes 

I would say if you bought a kit, you should probably follow the directions and tinker later.

But... here is a clone recipe on BYO:

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone -

which calls for dry hopping with 1/2 oz. of cascades in secondary.

EDIT: But if you take out hops from the boil, you will end up low on IBUs, so that is a risk.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

If you take the 2 miunute addition out of the boil, you wont see any change in IBUs. You wont be extracting bitterness out of them at that point. Id do the recipe as it states though, and add an ounce or so to the secondary on top of the regular recipe! YUM!
Otherwise, I would not be worried about removing some fo the 2 minute addition, 1oz. that is mainly an aroma addition anyway. I am surprised to see an APA without dry hop!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
flyingyahoo
Recipes 

But if only take 1/2oz. out of the last 2 minutes of the boil your IBU's should not suffer that much? Aren't hop additions in the last 2 to 5 minutes for aroma only? I am new to this so bare with me.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingyahoo View Post
But if only take 1/2oz. out of the last 2 minutes of the boil your IBU's should not suffer that much? Aren't hop additions in the last 2 to 5 minutes for aroma only? I am new to this so bare with me.
You are new, but you are correct! Hops from 5 minutes and under will not contribute to your total IBUs. Those are aroma hops only. If you want to take 1oz and dry hop with it, do it... it will not hurt anything. Just in case, send me several bottles for testing prior to drinking it yourself.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
flyingyahoo
Recipes 

Id do the recipe as it states though, and add an ounce or so to the secondary on top of the regular recipe! YUM!
QUOTE]

Had not thought about that but it does sound good. Will it have to much hop aroma?

I am using the SNPA clone kit from midwest supplies.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

Too much hop aroma?... how much do ya like hops? If in doubt, take an ounce from the late boil addition and dry hop with that... I have the BYO Sierra Nevada Clone posted in my recipes, and it calls for a dry hop too.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
mklawz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingyahoo View Post
I was considering maybe holding 1oz. to 1/2oz. of cascade out of the boil and dry hopping instead. Any ideas if this will be better? If so would you go with 1oz. or 1/2 oz.?
I did exactly that. Held 1oz back from one of late additions (flame-out I think) and decided to dry hop it. It's still in the secondary right now but it smells wonderful.

People say to stick to the recipe for the first time around but for me, I'm kinda experimenting with dry hopping right now. It's relatively new to me and I love it so...

Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The times I've reduced aroma additions and dry hopped instead have been disappointing. You can always buy more hops.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
flyingyahoo
Recipes 

Thanks for the help. I think that I will buy and extra 1oz. of cascades to dry hop.

Quick Reply