The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Otter Creek Black IPA clone recipe help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
joyceman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ive done three total batches of this since the OP. That makes this one of my favorite recipes going by times brewed.

The last batch I picked up some Apollo from Williams. I also tinkered with the roasted barley and upped it a little. The flavor was still there, but the bitterness was too strong in my opinion. Otter's BIPA has a real nice smooth flavor/aroma with a decent amount of bitterness. With this one the bitterness was too front and center. It was still a good beer, but my first try was better.

I just brewed another batch and went back to nugget for my bittering. I used only 3 oz of roasted barley and added 6 oz of special roast. I just dryhopped with .5 of Citra & Centennial on Tuesday. Should bottle next week to have some ready for the end of the year. Im looking forward to it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
mjkinne23
Recipes 

Thanks, appreciate the update. I'm going to give this a try with all-grain and see how it goes. It would be interesting to keep this thread going and refine the recipe as others try it too.

Just stopped by Otter Creek to get a keg of it and there's a two week waiting list because it's flying out the door to distributors (who unfortunately have first dibs). Apparently it's not our secret anymore. I need to nail down this homebrew recipe so I'm always at the top of my own list.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
joyceman
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im biased, but i think the hop schedule is real close. I just need to tinker with the malt a little bit to work out the percentages. With AG you should be able to really nail it down.

My latest batch goes to bottles sometime next week. Ill update you around xmas when I try one.

Quick Reply