Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Original Gravity problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #1
Mike B
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Original Gravity problem

Anyone ever have problems with inexplicably low original gravities? With my last 3 batches, the gravity has been coming up 25%-50% short. (My expectations are based on appendix 11 of the 3rd edition of the Complete Joy of Homebrewing). Obviously, I can just add some more fermentables to get the gravity I want, but I'd like to find out what's causing the problem.

Relevant Details:
I usually boil about 2.5 gallons for a 5 gallon batch;
I mix and aerate the wort before taking a sample;
My samples are usually around 70 degrees when I take a reading, and I adjust the reading accordingly;
I've checked the hydrometer, and it's fine;
I've had this problem with both LME and DME;
These have been all extract, so the answer can't be that I'm messing up the mash;

Again, I realize that this isn't hard to remedy, but does anyone have any suggestions for why I might have this problem now? All of my batches before these last three have been pretty much right on.

Thanks for any suggestions, I appreciate any advice.

Cheers!
-Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Can you give a recipe with how much ingredients you started with?

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

We need numbers, because it is impossible for an extract recipe to be off on the original gravity, unless the wrong amount of water and/or extract is used. Or the calculations (expectations) are wrong.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
Brewpilot
Recipes 

Yeah, if you are using extract, your numbers should be dead on... in my last AG I used 7lbs of Maris Otter and got 1.042... with 5.25 gallons going to the fermenter. If I calculated that correctly, that is in the high 70's%. That was my best ever
Brewpilot

Old 11-11-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
Mike B
Recipes 

After having gravity problems with a couple of partial-mash batches, I decided to "dumb it down" for my most recent batch, to try to figure out what's going on. This is probably the best example to provide:

I used 5lbs of DME for a five gallon batch. According to The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, that should yield about 1.042-1.046. My reading was 1.033.

Again, I've double and triple checked the hydrometer and all other measurements. I've made batches with extract from different sources to try to rule out the possibility that I'm just getting some bad extract.

I realize that this can be easily remedied by adding more fermentables, but if anyone has any idea what else could be causing this, I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks!
-Mike

Old 11-11-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Are you sure you ended up with 5 gallons? How are you measuring the volume in your fermenter? My other thought is how is the DME packaged? Is it generic and packaged by the LHBS or a name brand? Are they ripping you off and putting less in the bag?

Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Old 11-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #7
Brewsmith

Recipes 

I was just reading this thread: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16247
and was wondering if you were pouring water into the fermenter to top up the volume after the boil and then checking the gravity? If you pour it in and don't shake it up, you will get a falsely low OG. Wort is heavier than water, so the water will kinda "float" on top of you don't mix it.

My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Old 11-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
I was just reading this thread: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16247
and was wondering if you were pouring water into the fermenter to top up the volume after the boil and then checking the gravity? If you pour it in and don't shake it up, you will get a falsely low OG. Wort is heavier than water, so the water will kinda "float" on top of you don't mix it.
I've done that. Unfortunately, I did it with a batch that I split into two fermenters, so I ended up with one awesome, incredibly malty, full-bodied beer, and a second that was decidedly LESS SO.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Nothing wrong with a Small beer. Years ago, people would batch sparge and ferment each run separately.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
My other thought is how is the DME packaged? Is it generic and packaged by the LHBS or a name brand? Are they ripping you off and putting less in the bag?
Its interesting that you said that. I checked my two 1lb bags I used in my brew yesterday with the new scale I bought. One was 0.25oz. short and the other was 0.5oz. short.

Bastards. I'm going to have to start buying the 5lb package so I can measure out 2lb properly.

I clean my equipment with Straight A. I've noticed that if I have some residue of it on my hydrometer, I get false low readings.
Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Last edited by feedthebear; 11-11-2006 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply