LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
discokid2k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Organic Barley Malt

Hi All- Happy Early Turkey Day! I have a question:

So I usually brew AG but this time I am making a brew with whatever I have lying around (the season of giving so I am not buying myself any beer supplies at the moment). Here is what I have around the house:

2.2 lbs of Briess Extra light DME
1lb, 4 oz of Organic Barley malt LME
(its a small batch, btw)
assorted hops, and a sizable yeast collection so I can go whatever route I want.

What do you guys think of using the barley malt? Linked here:

http://www.edenfoods.com/store/produ...ucts_id=104050

I used this once previously with no ill side effects but I am curious what others think. It is definately the real stuff but what are the thoughts out there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There is an IPA recipe here that uses it and the brewer said it worked really well. With what you have you could do a 3 gallon honey brown ale:

30 minute boil; 4 gallon pot; Extract
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010
IBU: 24
SRM: 17
ABV: 5.2%

2.2lbs Light DME
1.25lbs Barley LME
4 oz Honey
(Steep with some specialty grains of you have any extra)

.5oz Cluster @ 30 min
.5oz Cluster @ 5 min

Safale US-05 yeast or similar.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
discokid2k
Recipes 

I actually brewed last night but that is an idea for my next trial. I steeped with 4oz Vienna and 8oz of biscuit for 30min. I did three hop additions of Mt. Hood, .5oz @ 30 min, .25oz @ 15 min, and .25oz @5 min an added 3/4 cup of orange marmalade at flameout. I plan on adding 2 or 3oz of fresh orange zest during secondary too.

I usually don't care for the amber beers but the ingredients I have currently all pointed that direction and this was just for fun. I used wlp500 as the yeast so it should finish nicely. I have never done a honey brew, doesn't the honey ferment out? Would I need any in secondary? I was kind of impressed with how easy an extract brew is. It has been a looooong time that I have gone extract. No mash made for an easy brew day!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
discokid2k
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzARzz View Post
There is an IPA recipe here that uses it and the brewer said it worked really well. With what you have you could do a 3 gallon honey brown ale:

30 minute boil; 4 gallon pot; Extract
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010
IBU: 24
SRM: 17
ABV: 5.2%

2.2lbs Light DME
1.25lbs Barley LME
4 oz Honey
(Steep with some specialty grains of you have any extra)

.5oz Cluster @ 30 min
.5oz Cluster @ 5 min

Safale US-05 yeast or similar.
Just a follow up but I let the beer sit in the primary for close to three weeks and then again in secondary for another few weeks. I added 3 full squeezed oranges, some cracked corriander, and two lemons to the secondary. Came out great! The barley malt+vienna+biscuit gave great flavors but the yeast was a little too strong on the banana side. I had to travel for work so it fermented on the high side of the wlp500 range. I may try this one again soon but cut the barley malt in half, and switch up the yeast.

The mt. hood hops at first, I was not a fan of. I usually care for more out of my hops but after these flavors sat for awhile in the bottle, the orange/lemony citrus hit well with the malt and low hop character. Still a little too banana-ish but overall great. Another Homebrew experiment success storyProsit!

Quick Reply