Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Orange peel porter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
MariaAZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Orange peel porter?

I'm looking at a few different recipes, including Papazian's Goat Scrotum Ale. He lists several different ingredients one can add, but I'm thinking about sweet orange peel. Would this style of beer work with the fruity/bitter of orange peel? If so, when should it be added?

I'm thinking about using a secondary with this batch. If I simmer the orange peel in water to break down the oils a bit then add it to the secondary would it give me a more pronounced orange flavor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Not sure about an orange porter. Typically, you see fruits added to either a wheat beer or to a stout (cherry stouts and the like). I tend to think that the orange might get lost in the roasty/smokey/malty goodness of a nice porter. The fruits that you see added to darker beers tend to be pretty strong themselves, like the cherries, or rapsberries.

But, orange is a classic flavor in a wheat beer, along with some corriander seed. I'm not sure when to add the orange, though - I think it goes right in the boil so the citrus oils can be isomerized, but I'm not positive.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Orange peel is also a good addition to a Christmas ale - along with some other traditional spices. I cannot imagine what it would taste like alongside a roasty grain like Black Patent - it just doesn't seem "right" to me. I agree that the subtle orange flavor would be overpowered by the other qualities of a good porter.

That being said - part of homebrewing is working outside of the bounds of common reason, etc. Go for it.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think orange would go very well with a bitter, chocolatey porter. There are, afterall, chocolate covered orange peels. Yum!

A few things though. First, though fresh orange peel is best, some oranges have a wax on the peel to make them more appealing at the supermarket and that will impart a waxy flavor. Organic oranges, or pre-ground, dried orange peel would be a safer, albeit less flavorful, alternative.

I would think it would be like hops- you can add it in during the boil, but will probably lose some flavor components. So I vote for both in the boil and in the secondary. And I'd probably reduce the hops to compensate. I suspect the two will have a similar profile, so you want the orange to be distinct in there.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:36 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I just added some fresh orange peel to my honey wheat primary. I used a potato peeler to take large chunks of peel off and then let them sit in water that was first boiled, then cooled to 180dF just enough to kill off any nasties. Then I poured the water and peels right into the primary. We'll see how it works out. If it comes out, it'll be called Citroney Wheat.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
MariaAZ

Recipes 

I decided to keep this one simple and bypass the orange peel. However, we grow our own oranges so there's not worry about wax. Come harvest time, I'm going to dry the zest for future brewing though

Old 12-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #7
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Ok... here's a hijack for ya..

Does anybody know whether orange or lemon peel has Alpha Acids? I mean, they're bitter, right? Does that translate to AA? Or is there an approximation?

I'm sure it will vary, to a degree, based on the type of oranges and a million other things, but does anybody have some working figures? Just wondering...

Old 12-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Definately try using fresh zest on your completed porter and take notes on the experience so that you'll have some reference points when you try to brew it.

A chocolatey porter and orange would go together, I think.

You can also try this...
http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?sku=00000012433&Dn=166+168&Nr=Stor e%3A99&Ntt=orange+chocolate&N=168+0&Ne=171+3+5+270 +269+11+12+7+8+167+271+10+29+64+6+44+25+9+255+256+ 67+272+24+26&Nty=1&D=orange+chocolate&Ntx=mode+mat challpartial&Ntk=All&nocontinue=s&cntShpng1Rec=1

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 12-18-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It would be a good combination. Deep, rich flavors pair very well with heavy citrus (as mentioned before, one thing that springs to mind is dark chocolate and orange flavor, I once made a dark chocolate ice cream with chilis and orange zest). You might need more than you think to get the desired effect.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
MariaAZ

Recipes 

olllllo, thanks for the idea of putting the zest in a finished brew. I never thought of trying it that way, and will definitely give it a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
It would be a good combination. Deep, rich flavors pair very well with heavy citrus (as mentioned before, one thing that springs to mind is dark chocolate and orange flavor, I once made a dark chocolate ice cream with chilis and orange zest). You might need more than you think to get the desired effect.
Chocolate and orange is my favorite taste combination, which is why I was thinking orange might go with a chocolate porter. Swenson's, an old-fashioned ice cream parlor that used to be all over Phoenix, used to have a dark chocolate ice cream with orange bits. Talk about heaven!

Quick Reply