Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Opinions on Midwest's Hank's Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
zyx345
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Opinions on Midwest's Hank's Hefeweizen

I drink a lot of Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen and was considering Midwest's Hank's Hefeweizen extract kit with the White Labs WLP300 liquid yeast. I'm looking for banana and clove notes in the finished result.

I'll be using a Coopers 6.5 gallon fermenting vessel.

Anyone thats brewed this kit, is a blow off tube essential? Would I have the head space to do without a blow off tube in the Coopers 6.5 gallon fermenting vessel?

Also has anyone compared the final result of Midwest's Hank's Hefeweizen to a commercial Hefe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
kc.rkitek
Recipes 

I'm brewing it tomorrow with the WLP300 and fermenting in a 6.5 gal bucket for primary and potentially a 6 gal better bottle for secondary (if I need to free up the primary for a St Pat's stout).

I'm not sure about how the flavor will turn out, but I'm definitely looking for the same banana/clove profile. I'm sure you'll want to start before I can actually report, but from what I hear it's pretty good if you can ferment at the the right temps...from what I can gather, the right temp is between 65-68.

Also, I understand the first 2-3 days of fermentation with the WLP300 can be pretty aggressive. I've made a 1 liter starter, so just for fun I think I'll use a blow-off tube. You could do it something like this rather easily: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/airl...ng-over-95581/

I used that as a starting point and made included a activated charcoal scrubber inline since I live in a condo and ferment in a shared basement. The scrubber will supposedly control some of the fermentation odors...we'll see about that.

Best of luck!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have brewed it before in a 6.5gl glass fermenter and used WhiteLabs Hefe yeast and did not need a blowoff.
This beer turns out great, by they way!

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 01-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
zyx345
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks to all for all of the replies!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
dtmnuclear
Recipes 

Default To double pitch ... Or not?

Since folks on this thread have experience with this kit, I was wondering whether I should single or double pitch with the white labs 300? Also ... I don't have the equipment for a starter, so that's out of the question.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts

A hefeweizen is an exception where I'd consider only pitching one vial. Do a search on the Northern Brewer website. I think there's a recent video with a guy from White Labs or Wyeast who said that you can control the amount of banana or clove you get by adjusting your pitch rate. I think he said you could emphasize banana esters by underpitching (i.e., one vial w/o a starter). Most of the information I had read prior to that focused on fermentation temp as a way to control esters, so I thought that was interesting.

Fwiw, I made Hank's Hefe with WLP300 about a year ago and it turned out pretty good. I didn't have temp control and it developed huge banana flavors with some undesirable minor bubble gum flavors. I also bottled too soon (2 weeks) and wound up with way more sediment in my bottles than I wanted, maybe 3/8 of an inch. Three weeks in primary or two with a cold crash would have been better. Live and learn.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmnuclear View Post
Since folks on this thread have experience with this kit, I was wondering whether I should single or double pitch with the white labs 300? Also ... I don't have the equipment for a starter, so that's out of the question.
All you need is a growler. After having two Wyeast Wheat Smack Packs show up DOA over the sumer, I don't think I will ever not make a starter.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Xantus954
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
All you need is a growler. After having two Wyeast Wheat Smack Packs show up DOA over the sumer, I don't think I will ever not make a starter.
I've found this is best way to make a starter as well. I just use a growler, and a drilled #6 stopper with an airlock. Works well, and I don't have to buy a piece of gear just for starters.

Ever heard the saying "dont s&$*@ where you eat"? I also wouldn't brew where I s%$&@. But ultimately it is your call. lol
-Sonofgrok

Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #9
micksphoto
Recipes 

Help! air bubbles are cominhg out of the top of my airlock is this bad?

Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
Dave37
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksphoto
Help! air bubbles are cominhg out of the top of my airlock is this bad?
No its a great thing! Congrats. this just means your beer is at a very active point in the fermentation. If the bubbles coming through have just started I would suggest, as many others do, to replace your airlock with a blowoff tube. If you aren't sure what a blowoff tube is. It is simply a piece of vinyl hose where you place one end into the hole of your bucket or carboy and the other end should be placed in a bowl of water/sanitizer solution to keep anything from going in but allowing the excess pressure and perhaps even krausen over flow out into your bowl without any mess and preventing any blowouts and a big mess and possible ruined batch. It happened to me once and now I will always use a blowoff tube for primary fermentation.

Good luck

Dave

Quick Reply