The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > "Only use light malt extract"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Butcher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default "Only use light malt extract"

I was browsing for recipes and found this opinion on a message board. The reasoning was that light malt extract can only be made from one combination of grains in contrast to amber, dark or any other malt extract which can be made from multiple combinations of grains which means the extract might be different from different companies or even different lots from the same company.

Does this make sense? What is everyone's opinion on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Light malt extract is made from 2-row malt with a low lovebond, so yes, it would tend to be more uniform than other extracts.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

There are a couple of malt types that confuse me. One is the "extra light" vs. "light" from the same manufacturer. What is the purpose of carrying two different extracts that are so similar? The other is dark extract. As far as I know you can get more accurate color and fresher taste if you add specialty grains so why bother with dark extract? People must buy and use this stuff if it's still on the market, but I just don't understand why you would use it.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Even light uses other grains: http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Pro...tm#GoldenLight it is however more consistant, and in addition to that you get added benefits by steeping your own grains for color like choosing the grains to get there which will have an effect on taste, mouthfeel, etc.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't always brew extract, but when I do, I use only Golden Light DME.

I believe my extract beers have been way better since doing this. I use that for the fermentables, then do a steep/tiny-mini-mash-in-a-bag for the other flavors I need.

The other big thing is to add only half the DME for the full boil and the remaining half with about 10m left in the boil.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I don't always brew extract, but when I do, I use only Golden Light DME.

I believe my extract beers have been way better since doing this. I use that for the fermentables, then do a steep/tiny-mini-mash-in-a-bag for the other flavors I need.

The other big thing is to add only half the DME for the full boil and the remaining half with about 10m left in the boil.
You should try the Briess pilsen light instead of the Briess Golden Light.
The Pilsen has a lovibond of 2. 2-row has a lovibond of 1.8

Forrest

Old 09-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
You should try the Briess pilsen light instead of the Briess Golden Light.
The Pilsen has a lovibond of 2. 2-row has a lovibond of 1.8

Forrest
I use the Pilsen Light for all my extract brews, however it is a mixture of Pilsner Malt and Carapils.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
headfullahops
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
That is really only a benefit in lighter colored beers brewed with a concentrated wort boil (i.e. 3 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch). If you're brewing a dark beer or a doing full wort boils (I boil 7 gallons to get 5.5 gallons in the fermenter), dump it all in up front.

As for the posted topic, I feel (and I think a lot of others on HBT do, as well) that basing recipes on light (or extra-light/pilsen) DME and steeping specialty grains or mini-mashing a combination of base and specialty malts to get the malt/color character that you're aiming for does a fairly good job of mimicking the process that all-grain and pro brewers use to brew their beers. Really, it gives you, the brewer, more control over the malt character of an extract brew considering that as an extract is manufactured to be darker in color, the more specialty malts are used in the process of making it. I personally want dictatorial control over the contents of my recipes, so using an extract that is made using mostly base malt gives me as close to a blank canvas as an extract brewer can get.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

When I am formulating any extract with grain recipes I ALWAYS base it around Extralight DME, then I get all my flavor and color complexity from my steeping (or partial mashing) grains. That way you get to use more and varied grains.

For example, let's say you are making an amber ale....If you based it around amber extract, you have very little room to get complexity from roasted or crystalized grains.....you run the risk of muddying the flavor and ending up too dark for your recipe.....

Staying with my Amber example...The Srm range for that style is SRM: 10 – 17 so if your base extract already puts you into 14 srms, you son't have much room to move around it....you may be able to sneak in a pound of crystal 30 let's say in it.

But if your Extralight DME has a color of 5 SRMs, you can really get into the recipe and play around with different combinations of grains until you get into the right color and Og range for the style.

And that will also get you a deeper, more complex flavor.

It's kind of like making model airplanes....remember the "snap together" types that you started out with? You had maybe 8 pieces; 2 body halves two front wings, 2 rear wings and maybe 2 pieces for a cockpit, or two pieces for landing gear...

But if you got one of those 500 piece b52 bomber kits....you had a much more complex final product.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by headfullahops View Post
That is really only a benefit in lighter colored beers brewed with a concentrated wort boil (i.e. 3 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch). If you're brewing a dark beer or a doing full wort boils (I boil 7 gallons to get 5.5 gallons in the fermenter), dump it all in up front.
A less-dense wort will also promote better hop utilization. Harder to extract alpha acids in a denser wort.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply