Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Old ingredients still usable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Diablotastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Old ingredients still usable?

So i got this buddy whose Dad messed around with some extract brewing awhile back.

He comes over with a bunch of old starter kit equipment and ingredients....already cracked chocolate and black malt, some Amber and Pale LME that was in the fridge for like 6 YEARS !!!

He really wants to use it up and try a batch but I keep insisting that it's probably going to produce a very stale lack luster possibly oxidized brew. Any other major downside to boiling up an experimental batch? The LME LOOKS good with no mold but it's been in the fridge for like 6 years or atleast thats what he thinks

PRIMARY:Empty
SECONDARY:Empty
KEGGED:Orange Kolsch (BM's)
KEGGED:House Rye Pale Ale
ON DECK:Centennial Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablotastic View Post
So i got this buddy whose Dad messed around with some extract brewing awhile back.

He comes over with a bunch of old starter kit equipment and ingredients....already cracked chocolate and black malt, some Amber and Pale LME that was in the fridge for like 6 YEARS !!!

He really wants to use it up and try a batch but I keep insisting that it's probably going to produce a very stale lack luster possibly oxidized brew. Any other major downside to boiling up an experimental batch? The LME LOOKS good with no mold but it's been in the fridge for like 6 years or atleast thats what he thinks
Aside from maybe tasting bad, there wouldn't be any issues. I'd take a sample of the grains and taste them, and see if they tasted stale or rancid. The worst that can happen is that it'll taste terrible. As long as it doesn't put your buddy off of homebrewing, all you've got to lose is one package of fresh yeast. (I'd buy some cheap dry yeast for it- about $1).

Old 11-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Diablotastic
Recipes 

Thanks Yopper....I've made him aware of the potential. Either way I think i'll give it a whirl....His HB opinion should still be stable as he loves Ed's Haus Pale. maybe I'll give an extract version of that a try with some Nottingham Yeast

PRIMARY:Empty
SECONDARY:Empty
KEGGED:Orange Kolsch (BM's)
KEGGED:House Rye Pale Ale
ON DECK:Centennial Blonde

Quick Reply