The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Old ingredients?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #11
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgravier
the most common bacteria that can survive pasterization i believe is botulism, which if i remember from my micro-bio class has a heat-resistant spore around it. no matter how many hours you boil it, you cant kill those kinds of bacteria...ditch it.
This scared me b/c of the fact that I have a young child. I know honey can contain botulism, but I also thought that if that honey were COOKED there would be no danger. Your comment above gave me pause.

Anyway, I dug this up on the web. Note the part in red.
How can botulism be prevented?

Botulism can be prevented. Foodborne botulism has often been from home-canned foods with low acid content, such as asparagus, green beans, beets and corn. However, outbreaks of botulism from more unusual sources such as chopped garlic in oil, chile peppers, tomatoes, improperly handled baked potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil, and home-canned or fermented fish. Persons who do home canning should follow strict hygienic procedures to reduce contamination of foods. Oils infused with garlic or herbs should be refrigerated. Potatoes which have been baked while wrapped in aluminum foil should be kept hot until served or refrigerated. Because the botulism toxin is destroyed by high temperatures, persons who eat home-canned foods should consider boiling the food for 10 minutes before eating it to ensure safety. Instructions on safe home canning can be obtained from county extension services or from the US Department of Agriculture. Because honey can contain spores of Clostridium botulinum and this has been a source of infection for infants, children less than 12 months old should not be fed honey. Honey is safe for persons 1 year of age and older. Wound botulism can be prevented by promptly seeking medical care for infected wounds and by not using injectable street drugs.

I'm not saying I would USE that old can of extract (I'd toss ALL of the old stuff), but I wanted to make sure the facts about botulism were correct.

-walker

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #12
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Hmmmm.. now that I re-read that passage, it says that the botulism TOXIN is destroyed by heat, but not the actual botulism bacteria that CREATED the toxin.

-walker

Old 01-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #13
cgravier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default wrinkle free ale? (drink beer and lose those crowfeet)

Because the botulism toxin is destroyed by high temperatures, persons who eat home-canned foods should consider boiling the food for 10 minutes before eating it to ensure safety.

[/INDENT]
I'm not saying I would USE that old can of extract (I'd toss ALL of the old stuff), but I wanted to make sure the facts about botulism were correct.

-walker[/QUOTE]

By the time you boil your wort you could have been infected simply by opening the can...and inhaling

Old 01-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #14
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just opening the swelled can is hazardous- the goop that used to be malt syrup can erupt all over, spraying stinky, sticky mess. Or give it to some home brewer you dislike...

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 01-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #15
Finbuck
Recipes 

O.K.,

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I knew better than to use the swelled can. I just needed someone else to tell me not to be a knucklehead.

A new batch with fresh ingredients will be brewed in the next few days.

Thanks All

Old 01-22-2006, 12:34 AM   #16
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Yeah - there are two things about botulism that can kill you. The germs (which are killed from the high heat - they are one) and the toxins they create, which also break down from heat.

But botulism is so deadly that it is not worth the risk. Ditch that swelled can unopened.

Quick Reply