Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Oktoberfest Ale - Aging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Oktoberfest Ale - Aging?

So I will be brewing up the AHS Oktoberfest extract kit this weekend and I was just wondering about something. First since I am unable to do a true lager I will be using the WLP810 yeast and fermenting it closer to ale temps.

Anyway the question I had was, would this beer benefit from long term aging in secondary like a true Oktoberfest? I was planning on leaving it in primary for 2-3 weeks and then secondary for a few months.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

"There seems to be an over abundance of beer related items in this house." -SWMBO

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

That's the way I did mine last year, and I think most do it that way but at low storage temps (kept mine in a spare fridge at around low 40's). Aged it right into September, brewed in March. As long as you keep it cold you should be ok. It doesn't have to go down to close to freezing, imo. Get it as cold as you can. You are still going to probably not get the clean profile of a Lager though, but as far as there being any trouble with aging in the secondary I don't see anything.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Many on the forum will disagree, but if you're bottling and naturally carbonating I'm not an advocate of extremely long secondaries.

If you're kegging and force carbonating I think the long secondary and extended storage at cold temperatures is a good idea. If bottling I would secondary about a month, bottle. The beer can always age in the bottles.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well if you secondary for a long time, you really should consider adding a sprinkling of Lager yeast the day before bottling.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks all! Looks like I will let it age.

"There seems to be an over abundance of beer related items in this house." -SWMBO

Quick Reply