The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Oktoberfest---in a 5 Gallon Carboy???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
JodsterBrewMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Oktoberfest---in a 5 Gallon Carboy???

OK Folks, I'm gettin' ready to brew a partial grain Oktoberfest, but have read in some interesting threads about the problem with lots of extract and the problem of BOOM--exploding fermenters.

I think I have a solution for mine, but wanted to make sure I was doing it right. I have a 5-gallon carboy, and I will hook up a 1 1/4 inch (outside diameter) hose as a blow off.

Here's the details of the ingredients:
3# Amber Extract
3# Pale Extract
2# Wheat Extract
1 1/2# Pilsner malt
1# Munich Malt
3/4# Dark Crystal Malt
Safale yeast
1 oz hallertaur (bittering)
1 oz hallertaur (flavoring)
1 1/4 # DME (priming)
OG 1.058
FG 1.014

Am I good to go with this set up, or should I stick with my 6.8 gallon bucket with a blow off hose?

Thanks for any and all input, suggestions, naysayers, soothsayers, doomsayers, etc!

Jodster

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd do the bucket with blow off hose as primary and then rack to the carboy for the secondary. 5 gallon carboy does not leave you with much headspace.

Loop

Old 02-13-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I concur with loopmd in using the 6.8 gal. bucket, except that you shouldn't need a blowoff tube with that much headspace. Fermenters only go BOOM when something blocks the exit of CO2, usually blowoff material.

Plus, I'm assuming you will be fermenting this with a lager yeast at around 55 deg. F. I did an Octoberfest last year and never got more than about 1" of krausen at the peak of fermentation in a 6.5 gal. glass carboy.

-Steve

Old 02-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
JodsterBrewMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, no, I'm fermenting with Safale 05, an ale yeast. my LHBS owner and I discussed and he suggested the ale yeast due to limitation of NOT being able to Lager at low temps... I can maintain a constant 65-68 degree fermentation temp but that is the lowest until I can create my own lager cellaring apparatus.

Gettin' Ready to brew: American Wheat (Extract)
Primary: Oktoberfest (PM)
secondary:
Currently bottle conditioning: Extract Bock
What I'm Drinking: store bought brown ale...and can't wait for the next 10 days to roll by to start drinking the bock!!

Old 02-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I'm sure it was a typo, but make sure you use no more than 1 1/4 cup of DME, not 1 1/4 # of DME for priming. I ferment all of my batches in 5 gallon carboys. Sure, the blowoff tube gets nasty, but I have never had a problem with exploding carboys.

Quick Reply