Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Ok, so fermentation finaly started. Now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
DNW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Ok, so fermentation finaly started. Now what?

I started my first lager Sunday. I proved the adage "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". It wasn't until I was actually into the boil that I realized I really should have done a starter.

My recipe was 6# extralight LME and 1# extralight DME. I used one vial WLP German Lager Yeast.

So here's the deal. I had started it with the expectation that primary would be done before I left for vacation next Friday and I would start lagering. Well it's obviously off to a slower start than I was anticipating. I decided I should pitch and start fermentation at about 70 degrees since I hadn't done a starter and didn't want to delay things too much. Finally tonight (48 hours after pitch) I'm just starting to see some activity. So far I've experienced strong fermentation within 8-12 hours...

So now I'm thinking maybe I should take it right down to 50-55 to complete fermentation and leave it until I get back from vaca (it will be three weeks from pitch if I do that). Any concern about lowering the temp at this stage? I don't want it to stick, but I'd like to get it down before too much more time passes.

-David

Brew on...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

well you pitched the yeast at a fairly high temp. usually you pitch it at your primary temp, then let it rest for 48 hours at room temperature, then after that you can begin the lagering. remember, no more than 5 degrees per day until you reach your primay temp which should be 55. then 21 days in the primary, then rest at room temp for another 48 hours, then rack into secondary, then lager to 45-48 degrees for 21 days (do not decrease any more than 5 degrees per day) and youre done.

ill keep my money, guns, freedom, and religion......you can keep the change.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

Bring it down over the next 24 hours and leave it at 50F until you get back. I pitch lagers warm and cool once growth stops and fermentation starts. With a big starter, this can be a matter of hours; without, a couple days.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Bring it down over the next 24 hours and leave it at 50F until you get back. I pitch lagers warm and cool once growth stops and fermentation starts. With a big starter, this can be a matter of hours; without, a couple days.
What he said. Then do a d-rest when you get back.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
DNW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok, that was my inclination but it's good to get advice from people that know what they're doing.

Thanks!

-David

Brew on...

Quick Reply