The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Odd man out? 5-6 gal boils with extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
shroomzofdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgray58 View Post
Thanks. I'm a little disillusioned at the knowledge of my LHBS. I can understand if they don't do this, or recommend their own tried-n-true methods. But I would think they would be a little more knowledgeable about other techniques.

Most people can't handle boiling 6G on a stove, which is where most homebrewers start.

Once you drive the dissolved O2 off the full volume by boiling, aeration becomes important to get the yeast going at a good clip.

So I think it comes down to simplicity: start new brewers off with partial boils, using gear that they have accessible, and don't worry about stuck ferments or stalled starts. It sort of goes hand in hand with the LHBS mission to attract new brewers.

So, it's normal for them and for most beginners to get exposed to brewing in this manner...but clearly, many people are not content to rest on their laurels.

That you are sort of asking 'what's next?' that makes you just like the rest of us weirdos.

Hey, at least the LHBS didn't sell you a Mr Beer and tell you that you expand with it as needed...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Plus, you must remember that Full Boil = Less Hops = Less profit for the LHBS.

(Though that may not be the reason up front. When they find out though, LOOK OUT!!!)

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:11 AM   #13
rgray58
Recipes 

Okay. Feel better. Thanks for all the input. I enjoyed putting my equipment through its paces for my first brew and planning a second when I get a free weekend. Just have to pick something different this time around. (First was a Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale clone).

Old 09-25-2010, 02:20 AM   #14
BrewMoreBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I do full boils to justify the nice 10 gallon boilermaker I requested for my birthday.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
headfullahops
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I started, actually when my friend got me started brewing, we would brew in 3 gallon pots on his stove in his basement. When I got to the point that I wanted to brew my own at my house on my schedule (spring 2010), I bought my own gear and I found that it didn't cost much more to buy equipment capable of full-wort boils compared to the 3 gallon on the stove method (which is perfectly viable, by the way). So, I got me a 9 gallon kettle w/weldless ball valve kit, a propane burner, a CFC, and let er rip!

Quick Reply