Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Oatmeal Stout -> Oatmeal Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Mellman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Oatmeal Stout -> Oatmeal Chocolate Stout

I've got some Chocolate Malt at home that I was given by a fellow homebrewer. I just ordered an Oatmeal Stout from Midwest.

I really wanted the AHS Double chocolate, but it came out to being ~$20 more...so I figure maybe i'll just add some of the Chocolate Malt I have at home. It already has 4oz of CM, so how much more should I add to tweak the recipe some more?

Here is the description from MW-

Product Description:
Oatmeal Stout. This Stout has more body than our Irish Stout. This kit is smoother, slightly sweeter, and has a clean, roasted, malty flavor and “chewy texture” from the oats. Our ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lbs. Dark liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Rolled Oats, 4 oz. Chocolate Malt, 4 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains, 1 oz. of hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag. Updated 2008 catalog price.

This is probably my 2nd to last LME brew, my neighbor and I are looking to get into DME's, but since I was short on research time I went with this! HOping to be pleasantly surprised.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If I was to add anything to that it would be 8 oz. Roasted barley, 8 oz. Oats and 4 oz. black patent. The stout I have bottled now is close to that just minus the black patent and I think that would make it even better. You really need some base malt like a pound of six row to convert the oats in a mini mash.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I use 12oz chocolate malt and 12 oz of roasted barley in my Oatmeal Stout. I keep the IBUs down to about 18, since the roasted grains add plenty of bitterness, and it has a very pleasant, dark chocolate character.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-30-2008, 04:06 AM   #4
Mellman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
If I was to add anything to that it would be 8 oz. Roasted barley, 8 oz. Oats and 4 oz. black patent. The stout I have bottled now is close to that just minus the black patent and I think that would make it even better. You really need some base malt like a pound of six row to convert the oats in a mini mash.
Hmmm...the 'bag o grains' i've got has...

Flaked Barley
Munton's crystal malt
Belgian Caramunich Malt (Lovibond 48)
Briess Roasted Non-Malted Barley 6 row lovibond 300
Dingemans Belgian Chocolate Malt Lovibond 325
Briess Black Patent Malt 6 row lovibond 480
Briess Victory Malt 6 row Lovibond 25
Muntons Roasted Non-Malted Black Barley

Can I roast the flaked barley I have myself? I know i'll be fine not adding anything...but I really want to start getting into adding my own...and doing my own recipe's once i understand what certain ingredients do. This will be my 3rd LME brew, so a lot of the stuff above I have no idea what it will do other than intuition. I understand the 6row and lovibond stuff, but a victory malt is vs a black patent?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
jay4e
Recipes 

I would just add 4oz of chocolate malt then you can add some cocoa powder to taste before you bottle/keg.

Quick Reply