Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > oatmeal stout not fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
sipNswirl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default oatmeal stout not fermenting

Hi there, last night we brewed an oatmeal stout (i got the recipe from this site but for some reason can't find it right now).

I know i started with 7lbs of amber LME, and there were 1.75 lbs of specialty grains including the 0.5 lbs of quick oats. i steeped the grains in 4 q at 160*. As far as i can tell everything went really well with the boil. we transfered the wort to the primary after we cooled it, topped up with water and took the OG...1.074 @ 70*. while everything was boiling away the liquid yeast packet was swelling up, so i know the yeasties were working when i pitched them into the primary at about 10 pm. I was expecting a huge explosion so i attached a blow-off tube to be safe....this morning there is still no activity.

I called the LHBS to see what could be the problem and he said firstly: i must have read the OG wrong because it's impossible to be so high. and secondly: if the yeast was working when i pitched it, and temp was ok (which is was) there should be no problem. He doesn't seem to think that a starter was necessary, but i've read here that for a beer with so many.

the last beer i made with a high OG was an IPA that started with 10 lbs of extract and it barfed all over my floor over night (using coopers dry). so i don't know what to do now. I've read here that liquid yeast can take a while to get started and not to worry. how long should i realistically wait before dumping a pack of dry yeast in to get things going?? or should i try something else before that?

I'm gonna keep searching for this recipe and post it as an edit cuz that will probably help

Edit*
7lbs Pale LME
.5 - oats
.5 - chocolate
.5 - crystal
.25 - roasted barley

2oz - EKG

wyeast 1056 (LHBS ran out of 1084)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My friend, sometimes it takes 18 hours or so to see fermentation. What is the temperature?

I think you will be fine and the blow off tube is a good idea for all your brews.

Gary

Old 03-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
sipNswirl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

temp is about 66-ish. i know it can take a while but it still seems slow to me and i don't want it to go bad before the yeast take over.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipNswirl
temp is about 66-ish. i know it can take a while but it still seems slow to me and i don't want it to go bad before the yeast take over.
It's trying to be patient. The yeast are going through a growth phase and when they attain it you will begin to see action. Your temps are fine and it won't go bad if all is sealed tightly.

Gary

Old 03-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
sipNswirl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Gary!! it's all sealed up...i'll just TRY to be patient

Old 03-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Don't worry yet I've had beers take a day and a half to start and that was with a starter if you wake Sunday to no action I would be surprised!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Here's a great sticky about fermentation time...to allay your worries.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43635

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
sipNswirl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ahhh, lots of activity now. thanks all. i now pledge to take a few deep breathes before posting a thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipNswirl
ahhh, lots of activity now. thanks all. i now pledge to take a few deep breathes before posting a thread
I was wondering this morning if it began fermenting. You keep learning with each brew.

Gary

Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
sipNswirl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

with many thanks to every one here, i learn something new every day. this forum rocks!

Quick Reply