New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > o noes... my airlock stopped bubbling early?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #11
Tripod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No worries, mate.

I'd actually be surprised to hear that you had much activity at all in the secondary. Any little bit you see now would probably just be out-gassing anyway and would not be very active.

Just curious...did you take a hydro reading when you transferred?

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #12
HappeninHouse39
Recipes 

Hey guys quick question about my first batch of brew. I'm looking at a brown bage resedue on the botom of my lid. Also, my air lock bubbled the second day alot but not much after and the water in the lock turned into a beer coloured yellow. These couple things are worring me and i was wondeirng if anyone could give me some thoughts/advise/tips.
Thanks alot.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:26 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappeninHouse39 View Post
Hey guys quick question about my first batch of brew. I'm looking at a brown bage resedue on the botom of my lid. Also, my air lock bubbled the second day alot but not much after and the water in the lock turned into a beer coloured yellow. These couple things are worring me and i was wondeirng if anyone could give me some thoughts/advise/tips.
Thanks alot.
The brown "residue is called krausen, and that is the remnants of it, it means everything was fine, that fermentation happened. And like we say over and over airlock bubbling is irrevalant if it slowed down and stopped it just means that excess CO2 isn't needing to blowoff.....nothing more.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
surferdrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i know this is an old post but wanted to +1 on everything that's been said above regarding the hydrometer being the best instrument for determining fermentation.

For example, i'm 72 hours into primary fermentation on a big Belgian Strong Ale with an OG of 1.094. Was concerned that there was no bubbling but remembered good ol Revvy's advice and took hydrometer reading and saw that its already dropped to 1.054...

Old 11-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
flywatt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Whew!

I had the same concern. I brewed my first batch of American Amber Ale on Saturday, and it stopped bubbling today. After reading this, my mind is at peace! I can't wait. The instructions provided recommended to transfer to secondary after 4-5 days. Would the experienced recommend I wait longer? Thanks!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywatt View Post
I had the same concern. I brewed my first batch of American Amber Ale on Saturday, and it stopped bubbling today. After reading this, my mind is at peace! I can't wait. The instructions provided recommended to transfer to secondary after 4-5 days. Would the experienced recommend I wait longer? Thanks!
Yep. I'd say wait three weeks then either bottle right from the primary or go to secondary for a week or two if you want.

but...

This being your first batch, you may have a stroke trying to wait that long (we were all there once too) so if you can manage 3 or 4 days past when the gravity stabilizes and then go to secondary you'll be doing just fine.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

flywatt Likes This 

Quick Reply