Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > o noes... my airlock stopped bubbling early?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Jam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default o noes... my airlock stopped bubbling early?

I brewed my first batch ever on fri night, a scotch ale. I sealed it and put in the airlock at around 1 am. I woke up sat at about 11 and checked on it- the airlock was bubbling happily, about once every 3 seconds. checked on it last night and it was the same, about once every 3 to 5 seconds. well I woke up this morning around 12 noon and the airlock is barely bubbling. maybe once every 1 to 2 minutes. I'm worried! is my brew ok? should I transfer to the secondary now?

thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Oh noes, you are relying on airlock bubbling as a meaning of something!!!!!!!!

Don't

Remember, you should never use a cheap chinese plastic airlock as a "fermentation Gauge," it's not...It's an airlock, nothing more, a VALVE to release excess CO2, to keep from blowing the lid off the fermentor...If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

Over half of my beers have had no airlock activity...

The only gauge of fermentaion is your hydrometer. And it's too soon to worry about it. Wait til 10 days after pitching if you want to bother checking then...

More than likely fermentation is winding down, hence the bubbling slowing down...the co2 isn't trying to escape...now let the beer sit for a few weeks to clean itself up and all is well...

This is a good blog to read....http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/...before_action/

If you are going to secondary (though most of us don't we leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks) you wait til the hydrometer hasn't changed for 3 days...usually around the 10th day after yeast pitching..

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

-RDWHAHB
-Hydrometer knows all, dont rely on airlock
-Have patience, give it atleast 7 days before you go checking the gravity.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hello!

First, congrats on the first batch!

Second, listen to Revvy. His advice has yet to steer me wrong. When I was prepping for my first solo batch, I thought I would be watching the air-lock with a stop watch and a ton of other equally rigid (and silly) techniques. The more time I spend lurking on this forum, the more I am learning to use the force...oh yeah, and a hydrometer.

Fast and rigorous fermentations are pretty normal and can be mighty active early on only to settle down just as fast. Leave it alone for 7-10 days and then use the hydro...

Hope that helps!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 11-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Jam
Recipes 

PHEW! awesome guys, thanks for all the help, you've really put my mind at ease haha

so i'll wait a week or so before transfering to secondary. if i do at all after reading a bit...

thanks again!!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:53 AM   #6
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam View Post
PHEW! awesome guys, thanks for all the help, you've really put my mind at ease haha

so i'll wait a week or so before transfering to secondary. if i do at all after reading a bit...

thanks again!!
Post again after you wait and let us know how it went!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
Jam
Recipes 

alright i transfered to the secondary without an issue, but the air lock is not bubbling at all! im really kind of worried, is this normal? it was bubbling like crazy for the first 3 days but now nothing, no bubbling at all....

Old 11-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It is normal. Fermentation was finished in the primary. Now it's just sitting there clearing and aging (getting better).

Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

When I made up my apfelwein, the airlock bubbled for about half a day and then stopped. It came out great.

I made my brown biscut ale in the same fermenter. The airlock NEVER MOVED the entire time it was in there. It finished up fine too.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
Jam
Recipes 

AWESOME, THANKS GUYS

phew i was really kinda worried there haha

Quick Reply